PDA

View Full Version : How Much to Purchase Sinar P (or P1) 4x5

Josh Urban
4-Jan-2008, 13:43
How much should a used Sinar P (or P1) in at least Condition 8+ cost.

I am new to large format photography and would appreciate any feedback and/or advice about P series.

Much thanks,
Josh

Ken Lee
4-Jan-2008, 13:52
As Pat Kearns stated succinctly in a recent thread entitled How much for a........ (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=32005),

"Search the completed sales on ebay to get an estimate of market value and go from there."

Meanwhile, I think you'll love the Sinar P. It's the Summum Bonum of view cameras.

Mark Woods
4-Jan-2008, 14:09
I spent $3700 for a complete Sinar P that had everything that Sinar makes to make it complete (except for the partial reflective mirror). The spring and digital shutter. 5 lenses on DB mounts, 3 shutters, 3 extra lens boards, 2 4x5 bellows, 4x5 & 810 Wide Bellows/Standards, 8x10 Bellows, and a lot more. The photographer sent two very large boxes to me with a note that he was cleaning out his closet and tossed in some extra "stuff" since I hadn't quibbeled about an extra amount for shipping. I've since added 5x7 to the system and a lot more lenses. The basic camera is what I use the most. I've seen these lenses sell on ebay for about $2500 mounted on a lens board. So I'm a happy guy. There was a nice 5x7 system with a A&J case that didn't meet the reserve. I have a hunch the reserve is about $2200-2700. The case alone is worth around $350 (I've had many of these cases made). As others have stated, it's a great camera.

Dennis Felty
4-Jan-2008, 17:47
I was able to piece together a Sinar P2 system (2 standards, bellows, gg back, two frames, rail, rail caps and rail clamp) on Ebay for about $1,200.00. You can get a complete P2 4x5 in very good condition from about $1,700 to $2,200.00. One in mint condition will go for over $3,000. The Sinar F2 is also a great system. It is a little more portable than the P2. I was able to purchase a mint F2 with Sinar case on Ebay for about $700.00. You can get a Horseman 4x5 system for about 1/2 to 1/3 of a Sinar system. The Horseman is also an excellent system. One adavantage is that the Horseman standards can be turned 90 degrees to create a flat configuration for transport. One advantage of Sinar is the amazing availability of componets and accessories on Ebay and elswhere. The Sinar system has extensive options on lens shade, viewer, film format, rail and viewing shade options. I have found the Sinar DB lenses and auto shutter are nice, but do not make a material contribution to image quality that is better than shutter mounted lenses.

JMotzi
4-Jan-2008, 18:04
I purchased a Sinar P (2 standards, bellows, gg back, rail, rail caps and rail clamp) for $699 on ebay in November. All the bubble levels are intact & working!

Peter De Smidt
5-Jan-2008, 17:57
I have a P 8x10 and a 4x5 changing set. I agree with Jmotzi. A basic P1 in complete working order should be about $700.