PDA

View Full Version : Appraisal Value for Omega E6

georges
3-Jan-2008, 14:54
I have an Omega E6 5x7 enlarger, f/4.5 Raptar 190mm, and Simmons Omegalite shutter on baseboard and want to contribute it to a local school. They would like a letter of appraisal for the gear. Any ideas where I can get that, or of value of the lot? I would like to give it to them for this (spring) semster and the valuation bit is holding it up. Any ideas and help would be appreciated.

Bill_1856
3-Jan-2008, 14:58
You're lucky to find someone to take it, instead of setting it out on the curb. What a damn shame things have come to this.
I should think that if you're evaluating it for tax purposes, that $300 wouldn't draw the IRS's attention.

Brian Ellis
3-Jan-2008, 20:01
I suppose that you could get a letter from a used equipment dealer, someone like Jim at MidWest for example, I think they still sell darkroom gear. It's unfortunate that the college is requiring this, a serious appraisal would probably cost you more than you're going to save in taxes. It should be possible to construct a pretty good estimate by compiling records of sales of comparable enlargers on ebay. Maybe they'd accept something like that from you?