PDA

View Full Version : Graphmatic Repairs?

bob moulton
12-Feb-2001, 15:02
Does anyone know of a company that repairs graphmatic films holders. I have acqu ired a few, like them but have a variety of problems with them that result in li ght leaks, sticky magazines, etc. I would appreciate some help and a phone or www address if you know of one. Bob

Pete Andrews
13-Feb-2001, 06:52
I think you might be out of luck. It might be a case of - "If you want a job doing properly.........do it yourself".If you do attempt to clean and service them yourself: DON'T undo the screws at the bottom end of the holder on the back face. These only hold an end stop/septum guide, and aren't holding anything together. The screws for dismantling are the ones at the top of the holder, on the side edges. All four of these need to be removed, and they're a pain to put back, requiring a small plate to be fiddled into position beneath them.Once the holders are apart, it's quite easy to clean everything.Be careful with the pressure springs when re-assembling, and the little number wheel. The number wheel is magnetically coupled and can't get put out of alignmnet, but it can get badly bent.

One other thing to remember with Graphmatics, is that they don't have the same register as modern DDs. The register is ~5.5mm on Graphmatics, as opposed to the standard 4.76mm, and you should move the focus 0.75mm further towards the GG after focusing. I have a mm rule fixed to my camera bed just for this purpose.

Alec Jones
13-Feb-2001, 12:14
>One other thing to remember with Graphmatics, is that they don't >have the same register as modern DDs. The register is ~5.5mm on >Graphmatics, as opposed to the standard 4.76mm, and you should move >the focus 0.75mm further towards the GG after focusing. I have a mm >rule fixed to my camera bed just for this purpose.

Where in the world did you get that, Pete? That might be true for YOUR particular setup, but not generally. Grafmatics were designed to be interchangable with other film holders. I just noticed you used a terms "modern DDs". If that isn't sheet film holders, then what is it?

Robert Kipling
13-Feb-2001, 13:02
I can repair and rebuild your Graphmatic holders. Most of the time the tension springs need to be adjusted and the unit cleaned (internally). If your septums are bent there is nothing that can be done other then replacing them. If you are interested you can send me an email.....

Pete Andrews
15-Feb-2001, 05:55
"Where in the world did you get that, Pete?" I got it very simply; by measuring the register of my Graphmatics with a depth gauge. They all measured 5.5 mm, which is a mile away from the standard register of 4.75 mm. Well, OK, a very small 'mile' of 0.75 mm.

This business of a 'standard' ISO register has started to puzzle me lately. It seems that until very recently, nobody that built cameras or made film holders took a blind bit of notice of it.