PDA

View Full Version : New commercially available Albumen paper.

Daniel Grenier
3-Jan-2008, 04:39
Well. This has to be a first in a 100 years...commercially available albumenized paper? Mind you, it's not sensitized but I just find this new offering interesting and wish this guy the best. Yet, I can't help but wonder how "big" the market for ready-made albumenized paper really is these days?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Albumen-paper-25-sheets-of-8-5x11_W0QQitemZ120205200521QQihZ002QQcategoryZ15248QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pete Watkins
3-Jan-2008, 04:47
I'm very tempted.
Pete.

Justin Cormack
3-Jan-2008, 05:14
remarkabe idea! Wonder what the paper stock is.

Greg Lockrey
3-Jan-2008, 07:35
If this stuff looks as good as the original albumen I might reset up my wet lab. ;)

Jason Miguel
3-Jan-2008, 09:01
Now, now, let’s not get ahead of ourselves… I started this to allow fellow LFer’s a chance to experience this wonderful process. I am only doing small runs of this stuff right now, but I am willing to take names and orders for those willing to wait. The reason why I am not sensitizing the paper is multivalent. First, keeping the quality of sensitized Albumen is poor, and also I wanted the artist to still have a hand in its creation. I am glad there are people out there interested in this process, as it can be quite rewarding. For those who would like to see examples of this process and paper please go to either the contact Printers Guild website where you can see many wonderful process and images. You can also go to my website www.jasonmiguel.com to see more Albumen prints. Each image is printed on the same paper I’m selling. Note, that I print exclusively on single coated Albumen. Please feel free to ask any question and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Thank you, Jason Miguel.

David A. Goldfarb
3-Jan-2008, 10:58
Good to see more albumen printers coming out of the woodwork. It is a great process.

Albumenized paper produced commercially was sold unsensitized, so this product is authentic to nineteenth-century practice.

For those considering this, I would only recommend sensitizing by floating. You can do it with a coating rod in one pull, but if you use a brush or try pushing it around with a coating rod, you're going to get brush marks (which could be interesting, if you like prints with a lot of artifacts or if you use the brushstrokes in an interesting way, but if you want clean prints, they have to be floated in one smooth motion).

David Vickery
4-Jan-2008, 23:27
So, do ya growed yer own eggs wit that chickn that cha got there?

David Vickery
4-Jan-2008, 23:41
Well, I do apologize for that previous remark. not a bit funny at all, i know
I will be interested in trying your new product, but it will be a little while before I can.
I am curious about something though, but I'll wait till later to ask it.