PDA

View Full Version : Sinar F1/F2, Arca-Swiss F, similar systems?

Riverteeth
3-Jan-2008, 04:02
Hi all,

As I've contemplated the move from medium and small format up to large, I've realized that the freedom of perspective and DOF control are as if not more attractive to me as the increased size of the negative. Thus, at this point, even though I love to hike and have idealized the thought of the Ansel Adams-like photographer trekking his way through the national forests with his complete kit... I've recently become much more interested in the monorail systems than the fold-up field cameras. Although it wouldn't hurt for it to be on the lighter side, as I would plan on taking it outdoors as often as possible, maybe hiking as much as a mile or two from the car. I shoot everything, from landscape to weird experimental stuff and everything in between, but mostly outdoors if I can:)

4x5 seems like the best format to get started in, and I've recently found very good looking used Sinar and Arca-Swiss view cameras on ebay for less than $1100, mostly with either a normal lens, boards and or other goodies to boot. My question is simply what are the pros and cons of these systems, and what are some others in the same class that I should also look for? What are the differences between the Sinar F1 and F2? Are parts and service still difficult to find for Arca-Swiss in the US? Anybody know about in Asia (I'm currently in Taiwan, don't know for how long)?

My budget for everything including two lens (one normal and one wide I guess) to get me started, a tripod and head, film holders and all the extras is probably about $1600, maybe a little more, and it'd be nice if the whole package weighed less than 25 lbs. (though I really don't know what to expect here).

Thanks a lot!
David

Riverteeth
3-Jan-2008, 04:08
Oh yea, and what about the Toyo options? The 45CX certainly has the right price, what about older models?

And if you have any recommendations on lens too, that would be awesome. How can I figure out which have the largest area of coverage (right term?) in order to be able to use more movements?

Frank Petronio
3-Jan-2008, 06:11
First, start by reading up on the articles on this website: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

But sure, a clean older Sinar F or "pre-F line" Arca monorail can be found for under $500 and a nice normal 210 lens goes for $250 all the time. Don't forget a solid tripod, my tripod cost more than most of my cameras.... You might get a much better deal by watching the classifieds here and on photo.net for some frustrated wannbe selling their entire outfit on the cheap. $1000 is plenty for the works, leave room for film and maybe Polaroid. Keep it SIMPLE.

People will argue all kinds of specific options, which lens, etc. Just get a good clean "normal" lens - a 150mm to 210mm f/5.6 Schneider/Rodenstock/Fuji/Nikkor for 4x5.

I think the older Arca is a little lighter and nicer than the old Sinar F, but you will find 100x more Sinar parts for sale.

Another good inexpensive line of cameras to look for are older Linhof monorails, which are not that expensive and they are really the top of the line quality wise. However the use leather bellows and often after 20-40 years they need a new bellows as they do dry out and crack.

Good luck, Frank

Ron Marshall
3-Jan-2008, 06:14
Here is a link to KEH Camera Brokers website, with a listing of monorail cameras. Most are suitable for a day hike. Also check Midwest Photo Exchange.

For longer hikes Google the Toho (not Toyo).

Peter De Smidt
3-Jan-2008, 06:36
Both are nice camera systems. In regards to F-line cameras, the Sinar a capable camera, and there are lot's of accessories available for reasonable prices on the used market. That said, the F-line is in a different league, though. It's smoother to operate and more rugged, but it's expensive, and the accessories cost an arm and a leg. I like the F-line standard with the telescoping rail. I wish I could afford one. Precision Camera Works in IL fixes both brands.

Ed Richards
3-Jan-2008, 08:01
I use a Sinar F2 in the field after trying several other cameras. Works great, esp. if you get the sinar pan/tilt head. The Arca cameras are great, but out of my price range, plus all that gearing makes me nervous around sand. Tripods are key, as Frank said, at least if you ever get wind or need to set up off the pavement.

Anthony Lewis
3-Jan-2008, 12:23
For backpacking I use the Toho. It handles lenses from 58mm to 450mm (with extension tube), is easy to use and quick once you get used to it.
I have a Sinar F2. It is great outdoors or working fairly close to the car - but I just can't get it into a backpack successfully for a full on hike. The Sinar system is great for all other forms of LF photography. I don't think there is one camera that can do everything - maybe someone can correct me on this?