PDA

View Full Version : Stolen 5x12 Canham ...

GeorgesGiralt
2-Jan-2008, 13:03
Hi !
A friend of mine had bought a wondeful Christmas present : a brand new 5X12 Canham.
On December 26th, the camera has been stolen in his car near Montpellier in south of France.
The camera bear the number 20590 on the baseplate.
I suspect the thief to be unaware of the exact value of the stolen camera.
But, please these are really scarce, so if you or a friend of yours are offered a "bargain" Canham, could you please advise ?
He is really shocked because he had to sell all it's gear to pay for the Canham and had to wait for Keith Canham to build it... So it was a really _new_ camera !
Thanks for your help !

Bill_1856
2-Jan-2008, 13:31
I hope he was well insured. My guess is that the thief will get $10 for each of the lenses from his fence, and the camera and any holders will be thrown in the trash as being too unique to be marketable. Certainly makes one sick!

Barry Wilkinson
2-Jan-2008, 13:52
That is very bad news. They are certainly rare in Europe. I will keep my eyes out over here.

Barry

GeorgesGiralt
2-Jan-2008, 16:09
Well one thing is sure ! They didn't get the holders. At 300 USD each, it's a saving...
I've advised him to put a world wide Ebay search for Canham and 5x12 ...
Who knows ?

Michael Kadillak
3-Jan-2008, 16:24
Hi !
A friend of mine had bought a wondeful Christmas present : a brand new 5X12 Canham.
On December 26th, the camera has been stolen in his car near Montpellier in south of France.
The camera bear the number 20590 on the baseplate.
I suspect the thief to be unaware of the exact value of the stolen camera.
But, please these are really scarce, so if you or a friend of yours are offered a "bargain" Canham, could you please advise ?
He is really shocked because he had to sell all it's gear to pay for the Canham and had to wait for Keith Canham to build it... So it was a really _new_ camera !
Thanks for your help !

What a sad situation. Chances are also near 100% that someone that personally knew your friend was who lifted it. The sad part is that at some point in the future even if you find the camera who knows how many times it will have changed hands?

When on the road I make sure that I have direct access to the front of the hotel I am staying at and I carry my equipment into the hotel each evening for this very reason.

I wish him the best in continuing his photography.