PDA

View Full Version : 360mm Apo Ronar or 355mm G-Claron?

mrossano
1-Jan-2008, 08:30
I wish to ask the recommendations of any with first-hand experience on whether I can replace a 360 Apo Ronar MC with a 355 G-Claron as I expand (so to speak) my format options up to 11x14. I've used the Apo Ronar with satisfaction on 8x10 and smaller. The contrast and sharpness have been remarkable, both for landscapes and close-ups. The field flatness and unifomity of image quality across the field is excellent. If I add the G-Claron to the kit for its larger coverage, will I be giving anything up if I sell the Apo Ronar? I have to consider that the lens will be used with all the smaller fomats, in addition to 8x10 and 11x14. I already have too much money tied-up in the equipment that I have, and I think that a sale of the Apo Ronar (multicoated, factory mounted in shutter) should cover the cost of the G-Claron. I just don't want to think back some day and wish that I had kept the lens, like I do when I think about the 360 Fujinon A that I sold on eBay some years back (yes, I know that you're out there, and I hope that you've enjoyed it!). Any recommendations based on actual experience or observation, rather than speculation, would be much appreciated.

As an afterthought, am I barking up the wrong tree here? If there is a better choice in this focal length for use as a semi-wide with a reasonable amount of movement on 11x14, and as a normal lens for 8x10, what choices might I consider? Size and weight are not a concern, but cost and performance are.

Nick_3536
1-Jan-2008, 08:43
As an afterthought, am I barking up the wrong tree here? If there is a better choice in this focal length for use as a semi-wide with a reasonable amount of movement on 11x14, and as a normal lens for 8x10, what choices might I consider?

How much weight are you willing to carry? If you're willing to consider the big #3 mounted lenses your choices grow. But the things are kind of big. :rolleyes:

mrossano
1-Jan-2008, 08:51
I don't mind the weight and size of the bigger lenses. My Sinar P can handle the mechanical load, my Cherokee has plenty of room for transportation, and some slave labor provided by the 15 year old eating machine in the next room will get it all from point A to point B.

Nick_3536
1-Jan-2008, 08:57
I gave up looking for a reasonable price 355 G-Claron and just bought a Fuji-W. Both are single coated. The Fuji is faster.

alec4444
1-Jan-2008, 09:37
Given that the max apertures are the same (f/9), I'd think you'd be fine. Note though that I only own the G-Claron, so I haven't been able to compare the finer qualities of each lens. But I can say that the coverage of the 355 G-Claron is insane. I only keep one other lens in that length, but it's because I can open it to f5.6...

Cheers!
--A

mrossano
2-Jan-2008, 14:25
Thanks, all, for your advice. I suppose the question I'm really trying to ask is whether trading the Apo Ronar for the G-Claron will result in me giving-up anything in terms of sharpness, contrast or versatility. There's not enough difference in size or weight, given that both are in size 3 shutters, for that to matter.

Dan Fromm
2-Jan-2008, 15:05
Hmm. I've shot 150/9 Apo Ronars (two examples) against a 150/9 G-Claron.

They're all three good lenses. If coverage weren't important one could be happy with any of them. The G-Claron has a lot more coverage, though. Since I shoot dinky little 2x3 Graphics with practically no movements the Apo Ronars' smaller coverage doesn't hurt me. Both Apo Ronars beat the G-Claron a little, but if I were stuck with the G-Claron I wouldn't feel deprived.

If I were you and the Apo Ronar in hand is good enough, I'd stick with it.'

BTW, what do you mean by "MC?" I've believed that all Apo Ronars were single-coated.

mrossano
3-Jan-2008, 04:28
It comes as a surprise to many, but in fact the later (mid-80s on) Apo Ronars that were supplied in shutter from the factory were multicoated.

Oren Grad
3-Jan-2008, 08:15
It comes as a surprise to many, but in fact the later (mid-80s on) Apo Ronars that were supplied in shutter from the factory were multicoated.

Indeed - I have a 240 Apo-Ronar labeled as MC. Not only that, but the very latest ones have the current Rodenstock cosmetics, with the new-style lettering and a colored ring (blue, in this case).