PDA

View Full Version : Need help folding Osaka/Tachihara

h2oman
31-Dec-2007, 08:43
I recently bought a used Osaka from blackberrydesk. I got it home and opened it, but now can't get it closed. (I haven't tried resorting to force yet, as I'd like to be able to use the camera at some point!) Could anyone give me a step-by-step for going from set up to folded? Paul told me to get ahold of him if I had problems, but I figured someone with a camera right in front of them could describe it better than Paul, who no longer has the camera to refer to.

Thanks!

Kevin Crisp
31-Dec-2007, 09:14
No force should be necessary. You WILL break something if you force it. Start with the rear standard to the rear, flush with the bed. There should be no swing in the rear either. The locks for the lensboard should be pushed in.

1. Extend the front bed a little (1 1/2" or a little less) and lock it there

2. Release front panel from the front panel hardware so it pivots. (I forget if it slips out of the track on the front standard at the top or the bottom.) You do this by loosening the two knobs that control rise. Then slide it up or down until it is partially free from the front standard hardware and can pivot.

3. Making sure the two rise knobs are still not binding, slowly and carefully fold the front standard back onto the base. The front panel hardware leans toward the back of the camera, while the front standard pivots to look down at the base of the camera. The front panel will pivot (try not to abrade the bellows) and end up pointing down. Push the front standard as flat as you can get it tucking in against the bed of the camera. Best if the locks for the lensboard are tucked in too.

4. Now rack the front standard back in so it is flush with the bed.

5. Loosen the rear knobs, push in the detents, and lower the back down onto the bed.

6. Click the front latch closed and tighten the knobs for the rear.

If you are forcing anything, stop. If you try to do this without following step one (the most common problem) it is practically impossible.

h2oman
31-Dec-2007, 09:56
Thanks, Kevin, that did it! I'll have to practice a few times so that I can remember.

Kevin Crisp
31-Dec-2007, 10:01
The technique of pulling the front bed out helps with quite a variety of cameras. (Zone VI, metal and wood Canhams, Ikedas, Deardorffs, etc.) Even if not mechanically necessary it saves wear on the bellows from the front standard hardware hitting them. Have fun with it, I love photographing off US97.