PDA

View Full Version : Advise on lens selection requested

Michael Graves
31-Dec-2007, 07:29
I have a Toyo 810M and I want a longer lens for it. The bellows extension on this camera maxes out at 20", so if I want to get even reasonably close, I think the longest lens I can use is around 16" or 400mm =/-.

I was looking at a Fujinon 420T, but the image circle barely covered 8x10. Is the Apo-Artar the only game in town in this focal length that has decent coverage?

Ted Harris
31-Dec-2007, 07:35
If you've got 20" of bellows you aren't limited to tele design lenses with their small coverage. My choice would be the Nikkor 450M. Also look at the Fuji 450C. Neither are going to get you a lot closer than infinity focus but the Nikkor but the Nikkor has vast coverage for 8x10.

Michael Graves
31-Dec-2007, 07:43
If you've got 20" of bellows you aren't limited to tele design lenses with their small coverage. My choice would be the Nikkor 450M. Also look at the Fuji 450C. Neither are going to get you a lot closer than infinity focus but the Nikkor but the Nikkor has vast coverage for 8x10.

Thanks for the suggestions, Ted. I saw the Fuji but calculated that my closest focus would be around 40 feet (feel free to jump in if I miscalculated). I'd like to get in close enough for head and shoulder shots when doing portraits but still use it as a long lens in the field.

lenser
31-Dec-2007, 08:30
Hi, Michael.

You might want to consider something like this on ebay Item number: 280188032210 . Same theory as a recessed board only in reverse. As long as it isn't so long that it vignettes, you should extend your close focus range by quite a lot.

Any decent machinist should be to adapt one of these to one of your lens boards.

Clyde Rogers
31-Dec-2007, 08:43
Using 1 / (1/flange_distance - 1/extension) I calculate if you have 20" bellows, you can focus a Fuji 450 at about nine feet. The flange distance at infinity on this lens is about 425mm (the Nikon is about the same, around 428mm).

I think you're in the ballpark of something workable, so get an extension lensboard. If nothing else, use a Linhof board adapter, and something like the Ebony screw-together top hat lensboard---use it as a flat board in the field, and add one or two extensions for the studio.

Michael Graves
31-Dec-2007, 09:10
Thanks, Clyde. I'm giving up on math. My calculations were WAY off. Also, if that lensboard extension can be made for a toyo, that 19" artar I've been wanting is back in the running. I'm checking that out as we speak. Thanks, all.

Nick_3536
31-Dec-2007, 09:19
Fuji 420mm -L? How about that

Ralph Barker
31-Dec-2007, 10:13
Michael - are you sure about the maximum bellows draw measurement? The Toyo site lists a maximum extension of 820mm with the front reversed.

Michael Graves
31-Dec-2007, 17:14
Michael - are you sure about the maximum bellows draw measurement? The Toyo site lists a maximum extension of 820mm with the front reversed.

I've got the older M, and not the M-II. Don't know if that makes a difference or not, but I have measured it from film plane to lensboard, and that is the maximum I can stretch it out

Blumine
31-Dec-2007, 17:28
I used an 810M for a while, before buying a different 8x10. The standard bellows and camera extended out to about 850mm, but the bag bellows only went out about 18 inches. That camera should be able to extend much more. Are you extending the rear standard as?

Blumine

John Kasaian
31-Dec-2007, 18:54
The 19" Artar is a sweet lens!