PDA

View Full Version : Got the Canham-Thanks for all the Help

Greg Liscio
30-Dec-2007, 17:09
I received my Canham DLC45 last week. Excellent craftsmanship and Kieth Canham could not have been more helpful. I'm very satisfied with my choice.

Also received my Ries tripod. Got the J100 as y'all recommended, and it is plenty tall and very stable. Talk about a solid platform!

Next is my first lens - most votes are for the Schneider Super Symmar XL110.

Oh yeah, and apply for the second on the house to pay for more equipment, film and processing. This ain't 35mm. But then again the pictures will be incredible. :eek:

So I am officially (and proudly) a member of the Large Format fraternity. Thank you all for the help so far. More questions to follow.

Blueberrydesk
30-Dec-2007, 19:51
Congrats, Greg! There's some great shooting locations around Media, I'm sure you'll be spending some time up around Valley Forge with the new camera.

happy shooting!

Capocheny
30-Dec-2007, 19:52
I received my Canham DLC45 last week. Excellent craftsmanship and Kieth Canham could not have been more helpful. I'm very satisfied with my choice.

Hi Greg,

Congratulations on the Canham... I've heard they're a great camera!

Just out of curiosity, why a 110XL off the bat? As much as it's a beautiful piece of glass, IMHO, I would think it'd be a better move to go with a more "normal" lens such as a 180 or 210... or, even a 240. There's much more versatility in terms of usage with these focal lengths as opposed to the 110. :)

Cheers

Greg Liscio
31-Dec-2007, 08:27
I wanted a more wide angle lens. Actually, I was wondering of the 110 would be wide enough.

Richard Wasserman
31-Dec-2007, 10:31
Congratulations Greg, I hope you enjoy your DLC as much as I do mine. The 110mm Super Symmar is my favorite lens, it's wide, but not too wide. If it helps I believe it's about equivalent to a 28mm lens in 35mm terms. Lens selection really depends on what you will be photographing and your personal vision. Good luck!

davidb
31-Dec-2007, 11:25
I have the 110 SS and love it.

I used it on my Canham (which is for sale) and it was just fine.

Keith Pitman
31-Dec-2007, 18:27
If you're new to LF and primarily doing landscape work, you might want to start with something like a 210 or 150. Wider lenses are more difficult to handle. For a lot of landscape work, you could then just take a few steps back to include more geography.

Ole Tjugen
31-Dec-2007, 19:14
Just out of curiosity, why a 110XL off the bat? ...

I like wide lenses too, so I use a 90mm and a 121mm f:8 Super Angulon - or 90mm and 120mm Angulon if the weight matters - supplemented with a 65mm f:8 Ilex Acugon when I need really wide and haven't brought a larger camera.

I did think about the 110XL for a while, but discovered that the four 90-121mm lenses wouldn't bring in enough money to pay for a 100XL if I sold them.

My 4x5" "carryaround landscape pack" contains the 65mm, the 90mm Super Angulon, and the 120mm Angulon - and a few longer lenses up to 355mm.

Brian Vuillemenot
31-Dec-2007, 20:16

Oh yeah, and apply for the second on the house to pay for more equipment, film and processing. This ain't 35mm. But then again the pictures will be incredible. :eek:

LF need not be expensive. There are lots of used cameras and lenses available that cost even less than 35 mm or medium format. If money is an issue, I would definately not recommend that you buy a 110 SSXL. It's a decent lens- I have one and use it all the time- but frankly, it ain't cracked up to all the hype it gets on this forum. You can buy three really decent used modern multicoated lenses from the big four for the price of the one new 110 SSXL. Look at Caltar II N lenses- you get ultra sharp Rodenstock quality for a fraction of the price!