PDA

View Full Version : New Here

mikez
29-Dec-2007, 23:33
Hey guys/gals just wanted to say hi. My name is Mike and I'm a 20 year old photography student that was introduced to the world of LF recently. I never thought I'd end up loving photography this much. Hell I didn't even think I'd ever like Photography. I thought I was just taking it to fill an "art studio course requirement", but now I work as the head lab assistant. Crazy the way things work out.

Even before I started shooting 4x5 I spent hours upon hours in the darkroom (much to the dismay of the lady friend :O ), but now... I really can't describe it. My experiences so far shooting in LF have been, well just very relaxing to me. It's just amazing to be able to photograph things "The way I see them" I think you guys know what I mean. It just came very naturally to me, I taught myself how to load the film, use the camera, and develop from a co-worker and Jim Stone's "A User's Guide to the View Camera", but I will be the first one to admit there are still a ton of things I don't know.

The first camera I used was a Toyo45 (not sure if there is a more specific name/model?) in a studio w/ electronic flash, but now I have my own Woodman45 field camera. It doesn't have as many movements, but I have really enjoyed using it so far with a Nikkor-W 150/5.6 and a Rodenstock 90/6.8. Right now I've only shot TXP320, but for Christmas I got a box of TMAX100 and I'm really looking forward to shooting it.

I've snooped around here and on other forums before, but I think this is an extremely knowledgeable and friendly community so I joined. Well I look forward to asking a lot of questions and hopefully learning a lot here.

Cheers,

Mike

domenico Foschi
30-Dec-2007, 00:08
Mike,
it's great to hear the enthusiasm of a "young fellow", it really reminds me of me as a 20 year old when I stole my brother camera.
This is a great place for info and camaraderie.
Have fun and ask, ask, ask!

Ralph Barker
30-Dec-2007, 07:47
Welcome to the forum, Mike, and have fun on your LF adventure.

Winger
30-Dec-2007, 08:50
Welcome! As you've seen, there's a ton of knowledge here. Always great to see another person taking up photography, especially LF.

mikez
31-Dec-2007, 10:32
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

Uri Kolet
1-Jan-2008, 17:17
Welcome from Vancouver in the Canadian Rockies, Mike; glad to have you here.
And Happy New Year too. Cheers, Uri

John Kasaian
2-Jan-2008, 00:41
Welcome from Fresno!

Daniel_Buck
2-Jan-2008, 00:46
welcome! someone younger than me, alright! :-D I'm 24

Vaughn
2-Jan-2008, 01:58
Welcome to LF! Back in my 20's, at least my girlfriend knew I was not running around on her when I arrived home late at night/early morning from the darkroom smelling of fixer!

Vaughn

mikez
2-Jan-2008, 17:04
Welcome to LF! Back in my 20's, at least my girlfriend knew I was not running around on her when I arrived home late at night/early morning from the darkroom smelling of fixer!

Vaughn

Thanks again to all for the welcome and amen to that. Although she still isn't terribly happy about my availability when I'm printing.:o