PDA

View Full Version : Copal #3 shutters, two sizes?

Nicholas F. Jones
29-Dec-2007, 02:38
According to the B&H website, the Copal #3 shutter comes in two sizes, the 3-585 (M62-0.75 mount thread; fits 65mm lensboard hole) and the slightly smaller 3-567 (M61-0.75 mount thread; fits 64.1mm lensboard hole).

My question is, how do you tell them apart? I do not have examples of both (SFAIK) in my physical possession to compare. I'm not even sure which of the two types are on the Copal #3 lenses that I own.

Is there a marking on the shutter? From the B&H specs it's obvious that careful measurements would distinguish the two. But I'm trying to determine the size of a shutter that I can only see in a picture.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Nick_3536
29-Dec-2007, 03:09
3 versus 3s?

Nicholas F. Jones
29-Dec-2007, 04:57
Thanks. Now that I enlarge the B&H pic for the 3-567 (and put on my reading glasses) I see the "3 S" on the front face of the housing.

c.d.ewen
29-Dec-2007, 06:41
My question is, how do you tell them apart? I do not have examples of both (SFAIK) in my physical possession to compare. I'm not even sure which of the two types are on the Copal #3 lenses that I own.

Nick:

IDK if the faceplate is a definitive indicator, but an older, silver-faced shutter I have, marked "Copal 3", conforms to the Copal 3S specs. A newer one, marked "Copal 3S", is black-faced.

The Copal 3 and 3S shutters have different lens thread sizes. See SKGrimes' table.
(http://www.skgrimes.com/products/index.htm)

Charley

c.d.ewen
29-Dec-2007, 09:23
Here're all three together:

Gene McCluney
29-Dec-2007, 10:06
Yep, it's true Copal 3 shutters have been made in two slightly different sizes, in addition to the Copal 3s, which is different from the 2 versions of Copal 3.