PDA

View Full Version : Whether to tether?

windhorse
28-Dec-2007, 13:54
I am looking for a digital back and one that has caught my attention is the Phaseone H2O - not least because it appears to be one of the few LF-compatible backs that fit within my limited budget

One characteristic of the h20 back that is that it has to be tethered to a computer, which I have never tried before, so would like to hear from anybody who has experience working with a tethered back on a LF camera - outside the studio (eg for on location portraits).

I am familar and happy shooting 4x5 film with a LF film camera. The time that it takes for me to set up my LF camera, focus, load film etc is no obstacle to what I am trying to achieve.

So my question is how much more complicated would working with a back tethered to a laptop in the field be compared to working with film both in terms of time and number of tasks to be handled each time?

Am also interested to hear from anybody who has specific experience with the H20 back. Is it a heavy monstor to lug around? What type of adapater is needed to fit it on to a 4X5 back and are such adapters expensive or hard to find? Is a lot of time and hassle required to put the H20 back on or remove it from the camera?

Hope this is not too many questions.

BTW dont hesitate to contact me if you have a dog-eared preloved ´digital monstor that works fine for sale.

Peter

Kirk Gittings
28-Dec-2007, 14:19
All I can say is that shooting tethered outside with my DSLR which I have to do for clients sometimes is a pain in the butt. For landscape work I personally wouldn't even consider it unless I had no interest in real portability.