PDA

View Full Version : Article about capturing steam in food photography

studmuffin
27-Dec-2007, 10:23
Hi there. I really don't know if this is the right place to post this kind of information or not, but I've just completed an article about capturing steam when shooting food. I use a 6x9 Arca Swiss, so I think that this might interest SOME of the large format crowd.

http://www.foodportfolio.com/blog/food_photography/steam.html

Please let me know what you think...

Thanks

SM

Alan Davenport
27-Dec-2007, 10:31
Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

David A. Goldfarb
27-Dec-2007, 10:48
Great article! I've read a number of the articles on your blog, and this is one of the best.

roteague
27-Dec-2007, 11:12
Great article, I'm going to watch your blog. I recently read a book called "Digital Food Photography"; the food photography fascinates me. I'm glad you mentioned this, I had about given up on ever seeing food photography done with film again.

David Millard
27-Dec-2007, 16:32
Impressive article, written and illustrated very clearly - Thank you!

Dan Schwartz
27-Dec-2007, 18:46
Great article, and great technique!

Wouldn't it be better to start out with hot veggies, and then add the steam, since, as you say, the shots improved as the food temps went up?

-------------------------
But, you should pay $3.95 per month for hosting, and lose the Google ads. I use GoDaddy.com for basic hosting.

David A. Goldfarb
27-Dec-2007, 21:55
I think the issue is that if you start with hot veggies and the stylist takes a half hour to adjust them, then it's not so easy to heat them up again without disturbing the arrangement. Some foods, like meats or foods with a grilled surface can be touched up with a torch right before the shot, but that doesn't apply to steamed vegetables.

studmuffin
28-Dec-2007, 08:11
If you know just how long it takes to arrange all this stuff, it's not worth even trying to keep something like this hot enough to produce steam. The veggies were never hot. We know it would be a waste of time even trying.

Thanks

SM