PDA

View Full Version : No Home Page info on GV or Kodak Monorails?

Bill_1856
25-Dec-2007, 14:07
A recent post requestion recommendation for a cheap, sturdy view camera sent me surfing to the Home Page. I had recommened a Graphic View II (my first 4x5 from 1953), and I remembered that there was a bit of controversy regarding its features, compared with the competing Kodak (later there was also a Burke & James sold, but it didn't seem as sturdy or as well-made).

Bill_1856
25-Dec-2007, 14:14
A recent post requestion recommendation for a cheap, sturdy view camera sent me surfing to the Home Page. I had recommened a Graphic View II (my first 4x5 from 1953), and I remembered that there was a bit of controversy regarding its features, compared with the competing Kodak (later there was also a Burke & James sold, but it didn't seem as sturdy or as well-made).
(Sorry about the double posting, but it posted itself right in the middle of my writing.)
Anyhow, both cameras seem to be made out of Indestructium, have full movements, and are quite inexpensive today. So far as I can tell, the only thing that newer cameras have are interchangable bellows for use with extreme wide-angle lenses, which didn't exist when those old warhorses were made.
The Kodak, of course, was sold to Calumet and I believe only the name was changed.
My initial questions were, does the Kodak/Calumet have a Fresnel screen, and what size lensboard does it take?

Jon Shiu
25-Dec-2007, 14:22
Hi, I have the Calumet CC400 with fresnel screen which install right over the regular ground glass using the same clips. The lens board is called a Calumet 4x4 board for CC400 camera (4x4 referring to size in inches). I found the Calumet easier to handle than the GV.

Jon

Glenn Thoreson
26-Dec-2007, 18:05
The Graphic view is lighter and somewhat smaller than the Kodak /Calumet/Burke & James monorail.
The GV came in two versions, the I and II. First one had off axis tilts, second had on axis tilts and there were some other minor changes. You can find info on the GV cameras by searching the archives at www.graflex.org

Turner Reich
27-Dec-2007, 06:52
I have a CC400, is anyone really taking these cameras into the "field", meaning taking them out into the real world?

How do you use yours?

MIke Sherck
27-Dec-2007, 07:54
I have a CC400, is anyone really taking these cameras into the "field", meaning taking them out into the real world?

How do you use yours?

Sure, all the time. I just bolt it securely to the tripod head and throw it over my shoulder, with holders, etc. in a shoulder bag (cheap cooler bag from Wal-Mart) over the other shoulder. I'm good for at least three to five miles that way. I've carried it up sand dunes, hills, etc.

The CC400 is a GREAT camera and solid enough to beat back a pack of wild poodles!