PDA

View Full Version : Need of Center Filter

galupi20
22-Dec-2007, 18:55
Wich of these lenses "must " be used with CF in 4x5 format ? 75mm Grandagon-N 4.5, 75mm Nikkor SW 4.5, Super Angulon XL 72mm 5.6 and Schneider 80mm XL.
Thanks a lot
Luis

Peter K
22-Dec-2007, 22:22
The brightness difference between the center and the margin of an image has nothing to do with the brand of the lens, it's an optical phenomen with all lenses with a certain angle of view. And it's more or less visible with different subjects. E.g. a wall with uniform illumination is more sensitive as the foliage of a tree.

Peter K

galupi20
22-Dec-2007, 22:54
Thanks a lot for the technical information. My question was target to a probable " aditional cost " if I decide to buy one of this lenses. I dont have much money after buying a 210 APO Symmar and 110mmSS XL and the difference in price in those lenses ( new and used ) are great. Cost of CF for the 72mm XL is 546 u$s in B&H. Cost of Nikkor 75mm 4.5 SW ( used ) = 695 u$s
Luis

Gene McCluney
22-Dec-2007, 23:05
A center filter is a matter of taste. I don't use one for any wide-angle lens. Yes, there is some fall off, but I can handle it. Simple matter either in the darkroom or Photoshop to compensate, particularly in black and white.

galupi20
22-Dec-2007, 23:23
Thanks a lot Gene
Luis

David Vickery
23-Dec-2007, 01:07
Hello, It is matter of taste and it does depend on the subject. However, if you are working for a client doing something like architectural photos then you will most likely need the center filter. If you are just doing stuff for yourself then you could wait to see if you really need one for the type of work that you do.
After thinking on it a little more, my 75mm lens may not be as fast as the ones that you listed and I don't even remember which make it is. It has been almost two years since I have used that lens, but I did use it to photograph numerous model homes and other interiors and I would not have used it without the center filter for those clients. I don't know Digital so I would not be able to fix the density difference in photoshop, you may well be able to as gene stated.
I certainly agree with what Peter said also, but if the lens has a large image circle and you are only using the central portion it may not be enough of a problem to make the additional purchase.

timparkin
23-Dec-2007, 02:50
One thing that is handy to know is the light fall's off a lot slower on a super angulon than on a normal lens (sorry if I've got this wrong but hopefully I've got the right general idea). Hence the 80XL has more need of a CF than a 90SA XL

Peter K
23-Dec-2007, 03:02
Of course it's a question of focal-lenght and film-size, but when the 90mm lens is shifted or used with a 5x7 camera, the same problem occurs.

Peter K

markoita
23-Dec-2007, 03:32
center filter is a must for landscape photography if you use a wide angle lenses 90mm and less and you shift some cm

Ted Harris
30-Dec-2007, 18:53
Hmmmm, I've never felt a need to use one with a 90mm lens. Seldom with 75mm and fairly often with a 58.

Nathan Potter
30-Dec-2007, 21:04
I never use one with my 75 mm Nikon but when appropriate to the image, I do use a homemade one in my darkroom enlargers for both color and B&W.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

jetcode
31-Dec-2007, 02:23
Thanks a lot for the technical information. My question was target to a probable " aditional cost " if I decide to buy one of this lenses. I dont have much money after buying a 210 APO Symmar and 110mmSS XL and the difference in price in those lenses ( new and used ) are great. Cost of CF for the 72mm XL is 546 u$s in B&H. Cost of Nikkor 75mm 4.5 SW ( used ) = 695 u$s
Luis

Amazingly I picked a Heliopan center filter and polarizer for under $200 so check for used ones at the usual watering holes.

timparkin
31-Dec-2007, 03:41
I use a centre filter on the 80XL as this has more light fall off than the super angulon. I haven't used one on the 110XL as of yet (although may do if there are areas of constant shade in my compositions - e.g. a plainish sky or constant colour/tone of sand).

Tim

lenser
11-Jan-2008, 12:32
Except in a commercial use such as architecture, I think this is a matter of taste.

I just looked at the thread on the Clyde Bucher calendar that is for sale. I'm not sure if Clyde uses one or (center filter) not, but it looks to me like his work is super wide lenses and let the fall off add to the beauty of the image.

I am completely captivated by how this intensifies the impact of the images and all of his seem to have this same beautiful gradation.

My taste definitely leans toward this effect being a plus, at least in landscape work.

Mark Sawyer
11-Jan-2008, 14:24
A center filter is more critical to color films, especially color transparancies, than to b&w.

John Brady
11-Jan-2008, 15:48
Except in a commercial use such as architecture, I think this is a matter of taste.

I just looked at the thread on the Clyde Bucher calendar that is for sale. I'm not sure if Clyde uses one or (center filter) not, but it looks to me like his work is super wide lenses and let the fall off add to the beauty of the image.

I am completely captivated by how this intensifies the impact of the images and all of his seem to have this same beautiful gradation.

My taste definitely leans toward this effect being a plus, at least in landscape work.

Clyde has told me that he never uses a center filter, he likes the effect that using super wa lenses that just scratch the edges of the film creates and feels it draws the viewer into the scene.

I have a 47xl, 58xl and 72xl, I have the cf for the 47 and 58 but rarely use it. I shoot b&w landscape and I prefer the subtle vignette effect. If I was shooting chromes it would be a whole other story.

I will soon be receiving a 5x8 Chamonix that I plan to use my 72xl on, that should be interesting.

jb

lenser
11-Jan-2008, 16:00
John,

I've got the 58XL and regularly shoot it with transparency film without a center filter. I still like the effect. Probably a holdover from my days owning a portrait studio and loving using vignetters.

In black and white, I agree, it has a pronounced effect of drawing one in. In color, it seems to just be a subtle gradation that pulls the eye. In my architectural work, it seldom becomes noticeable, but I always have the option of smoothing that out with either printing or photo shop if it becomes a problem.

BTW, Clyde's work is phenomenal! I'm envious that you are close enough to get to know him.