PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 45N-1 Accessory Requests

BarryS
22-Dec-2007, 13:35
Ok, here's my wish list for Chamonix 45N-1 accessories--feel free to add your own suggestions. Maybe we can give Hugo and the Chamonix factory some ideas on what we'd like.

Bag Bellows -- Being a wideangle guy, this is my number one request. The bag bellows should be very light and flexible. Need this one badly and soon.

Compendium hood -- A super lightweight compendium hood would be great. It would attach via the accessory shoe and would have its own accessory shoe so the displaced bubble level would have a spot.

Folding focus hood -- This is a maybe, but if it were superlight, I'd be in for one.

I bought this camera because I want a superlight kit, so I expect the accessories to be light and compact as well.

Ron Bose
22-Dec-2007, 14:23
- wooden film holders for 4x5
- compendium hood

eddie
22-Dec-2007, 14:35
marks on the back of the rear standard to see while using the camera from the photographer position. so i do not have to go around to the front to find the zero makings for both rise/fall and shift. so far that is all.

thanks

eddie

Eric James
22-Dec-2007, 15:29
Carbon fiber lens boards.

PBrooks
22-Dec-2007, 15:44
Eric the carbon fiber lens board i received with my chamonix 1417 is beautiful with inset velvet like material strips in the back of it. So in my observation the accessories mirror the level of craftsmanship of the camera. Hope this helps.
PBrooks

Songyun
22-Dec-2007, 15:57
4X5 Carbon fiber lensboards and wooden film holders was original on the accessory list, but due to the high cost, it might not be available. I have seen the prototype lens shade clip, which in my mind is better than ebony's.

Brian Ellis
22-Dec-2007, 18:15
A tracking number.

davidb
22-Dec-2007, 18:43
I'd be up for the lens boards too.

I had asked previous about the folding focusing hood. I would love one.

Raph
23-Dec-2007, 04:34
I'd be up for the Bag Bellows, it would be great :)

- A thin and supple bellows like the Ebony SV45U bellows
- T screw and not knobs like the Phillips for the front standard
- Better marking on the front bed
- An attachment for a reflex finder like the Cambo T20 would be great
or
- Bellows focusing hood with removable magnifier like the Ebony one
- An extension tube kit (like the Ebony one). I use this one for my 360

Let Biogons Be Biogons
23-Dec-2007, 05:28
Being able to attach the Cambo T20 reflex finder would be great. (The T20 is lightweight, reasonable compact, reasonably priced and available -- other manufacturers, like Canham on the DLC45, have also adopted its use.)

eddie
23-Dec-2007, 07:07
oh! longer bellows!

i originally asked but i did not pursue it cause i did not want to miss this order.

Songyun
23-Dec-2007, 12:54
I'd be up for the Bag Bellows, it would be great :)

- An attachment for a reflex finder like the Cambo T20 would be great
or
- Bellows focusing hood with removable magnifier like the Ebony one
- An extension tube kit (like the Ebony one). I use this one for my 360
I know that an attachment is made for linhof reflex finder.
the max bellow extension is 395mm which is good for 360mm lens already.
universal bellow has been requested, is pending.

Songyun
23-Dec-2007, 12:56
oh! longer bellows!

i originally asked but i did not pursue it cause i did not want to miss this order.

eddie, why a long bellow? the original bellow is good for max extension.

davidb
23-Dec-2007, 12:58
More importantly, probably the most important thing to have, is a service/repair center here in the USA.

If something should happen to my camera, I really don't want to have to send it back to China to have it worked on. Too much time. Too much money.

David Karp
23-Dec-2007, 13:11
eddie, why a long bellow? the original bellow is good for max extension.

I can't answer for Eddie, but I can for me. "Good for max extension" is in the eye of the beholder. I started out in LF with a monorail that could handle a 450mm. I use it a lot more than even I thought I would use it. When I purchased a field camera, I limited my choices to those that could handle my Fuji 450 C. That cut off a lot of nice cameras, but I would rather bend the camera to my vision than bend my vision to the camera.

I am not in the market now, but this seems to be a beautiful and well made camera. Right now, it would be out of my consideration if looking for a new 4x5. If it had a universal bellows like a Canham and could handle a 450mm Fuji C then it would certainly be in the running.

My 2 cents.

davidb
23-Dec-2007, 13:17
Is this lens and absolute must use when you go out to make photographs? Is it something you cannot live without? Is 360mm not long enough?

I'm just curious because this camera, at $800 with shipping is simply an amazing deal. To me, it would be worth trying to find and use a shorter lens.

David Karp
23-Dec-2007, 13:24
It is a great deal. Do I have to have the lens? No. Do I use it a lot? Yes. Did I purchase a Walker Titan SF in part because it can use a 450mm? Yes. Do I want to buy a 360mm lens to use a particular camera? No. Would I want to be able to do closeups with the 450mm? No. It would not take too much extension to be able to use the lens, because the flange to focal length is something like 425mm.

It seems like it would not be impossible to add the extra extension to the 4x5 Chamonix without adding an obscene amount of weight, size, or price.

I can accept that many people don't want to use a 450mm on 4x5. I think this is why they make more than one kind of camera.

davidb
23-Dec-2007, 13:27
Fair enough.

I don't think an extension would be needed.

One could easily replace the two extensions on the camera already and then do a bellows change. Quick, cheap and easy.

Eric James
23-Dec-2007, 13:27
There's already a good deal of functionality built into this little camera, but I agree with you David K. - it would be great if the 45N-1 would focus the Fuji 450mm C. Just what 360mm lens will this tiny camera support - sure the Fuji A, but good luck finding one.

David Karp
23-Dec-2007, 13:32
One could easily replace the two extensions on the camera already and then do a bellows change. Quick, cheap and easy.

I agree. And if this camera had been available when I was looking for a 4x5 field camera with enough extension for my 450 I would have been very interested.

Brian Ellis
23-Dec-2007, 13:33
oh! longer bellows!

As you probably know, there's usually a trade-off with bellows length. The longer the bellows the more difficult it usually is to use short focal length lenses, especially with movements. I've always assumed that was why people who owned some Wisner cameras said they needed a bag bellows for any lens shorter than about 110mm (some Wisners had bellows in 24" range IIRC). I thought the Chamonix was pretty impressive with a 395" bellows but the apparent ability (according to Jack Flesher's review) to use a 65mm lens. Personally if I wanted to use a longer normal lens than the 360mm that's already usable with the Chamonix I'd rather use a top hat lens board than give up some wide angle lens ability to a longer bellows.

eddie
23-Dec-2007, 13:54
i did not really think about the trade off of the longer bellows limiting the wider lenses. probably because i do not own a wide angle lens to cover 4x5. i do not because most are very expensive. but on the other side longer FL are easy to find and cheap relative to WA. mainly i was thinking about using some of the normal lenses at portrait distances. that is what i had in mind for the extra bellows. i was thinking about using 12 in lens for portraits (maybe a bit more) basically an 8inch would be the max with the current bellows. i think that a lens a bit longer would make the ports more flattering.

now if i can get me one of those super wides for super cheap i may begin to sign another tune.....OR......we could get a camera with longer bellows AND bag bellows.....

eddie

roteague
23-Dec-2007, 21:07
Bag Bellows -- Being a wideangle guy, this is my number one request. The bag bellows should be very light and flexible. Need this one badly and soon.

I'm curious why you would need a bag bellows for this camera. From the pictures Jack Flesher put up, it doesn't look like you would need one.

BarryS
23-Dec-2007, 23:06
I'm curious why you would need a bag bellows for this camera. From the pictures Jack Flesher put up, it doesn't look like you would need one.

I don't know, maybe you're right. I'm starting with the Nikkor 90mm f/8, which I understand has a relatively large image circle and I may be trading the 90 for 65 or 75mm lens because I usually like to go pretty wide. I want to make sure I run out of image circle before I run out of bellows for the 90 and potentially, the 65 or 75. I plan on doing some architectural studies that might mean using a lot of movements, so I always assumed I'd need a bag bellows. What do you think?

roteague
23-Dec-2007, 23:33
I don't know, maybe you're right. I'm starting with the Nikkor 90mm f/8, which I understand has a relatively large image circle and I may be trading the 90 for 65 or 75mm lens because I usually like to go pretty wide. I want to make sure I run out of image circle before I run out of bellows for the 90 and potentially, the 65 or 75. I plan on doing some architectural studies that might mean using a lot of movements, so I always assumed I'd need a bag bellows. What do you think?

I've never used a bag bellows, although my widest lens is a 80mm XL; with my old Toyo 45AII. The Chamonix looks like it will collapse more than the Toyo.

J_Tardiff
24-Dec-2007, 07:19
i did not really think about the trade off of the longer bellows limiting the wider lenses. probably because i do not own a wide angle lens to cover 4x5. i do not because most are very expensive. but on the other side longer FL are easy to find and cheap relative to WA. mainly i was thinking about using some of the normal lenses at portrait distances. that is what i had in mind for the extra bellows. i was thinking about using 12 in lens for portraits (maybe a bit more) basically an 8inch would be the max with the current bellows. i think that a lens a bit longer would make the ports more flattering.

eddie

eddie,

Do you really think the Chamonix is limited to <10" lenses for portrait work? That seems a bit pessimistic to me and I was hoping that the extra bellows draw as compared to the 4x5 Shen would be an advantage. Can you elaborate a little as I am presently in the market for a portrait lens (210 - 240 FL)?

appreciate it,

JT

David Karp
24-Dec-2007, 09:31
I see Brian's point regarding using lenses at the short end of the spectrum. Again, this illustrates why there are many cameras for us LF nuts. I rarely go wider than 125mm when in the field. If I do, it is almost always 90mm and no farther. So, switching a bellows to use a 75mm or wider would not be a problem for me.

Plus, given the request by a few users for a universal (Canham-like) bellows and the tapered nature of the Chamonix bellows, my guess is that you would be able to use a 75mm or perhaps even a 65mm.

eddie
24-Dec-2007, 09:48
hi jt,
maybe i am wrong (not the first time) i just checked my 165mm (6.5 inches) lens on a head shot and had about 10 inches of bellows out. i was just guessing that a 10 inch lens would need about max bellows for this kind of shot. i will try and verify this when i get home. i got an old barrel 10 in i can cut a foam core board for and try it. i would say you should have no problems with a 240 (that is almost 10 inches). i was thinking that a 12-14 inch lens would give a more flattering port than the wider ones.

here is (http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18935&ppuser=9453)one of my favorite ports shot wide open. it is a 12 inch lens. the max bellows i have on my korona is about 20 inches. i think i was close to that when i made this image. (my korona has more bellows than i have extension. if i could hook up a 3rd extension rail i may get another 3-4 inches out of her)

i will go home and check out a few different FL for head shot ports and report back to you. i think you will be just fine with the 240 (10 inch..ish)

eddie

ps. if you can not see the apug galleries try this one (http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=5161350)

eddie,

Do you really think the Chamonix is limited to <10" lenses for portrait work? That seems a bit pessimistic to me and I was hoping that the extra bellows draw as compared to the 4x5 Shen would be an advantage. Can you elaborate a little as I am presently in the market for a portrait lens (210 - 240 FL)?

appreciate it,

JT

Brian Ellis
24-Dec-2007, 12:16

I'm not sure there are any 65mm lenses that have significant room for movements with 4x5. I know the Schneiders that I've looked at would just barely cover 4x5 with no room for movements. It's my understanding that the 65s are intended mostly for use with medium format cameras or backs.

BarryS
24-Dec-2007, 12:26
That would definitely make a 65mm a lot less appealing. I should be receiving my 90mm and a lens board in a few days, so I'll see how that works out in terms of available movements. I should look into coverage for 75 and 80mm lenses, maybe the standard bellows is less of an issue than I thought.

BarryS
29-Dec-2007, 19:58
I received my Nikkor 90mm f/8 lens and I checked out the available movements with the Chamonix stock bellows. It's very clear that the standard bellows is restricting the use of the full image circle. For example, focused at 12 feet, the 90mm is limited to about 25mm of rise out of the possible 45mm for the front standard. The Nikkor 90mm has an image circle of 235mm, so it should be able to cover at least 45mm of rise. While the Nikkor has more coverage than any other 90mm f/8 lenses, the faster 90mm lenses have equivalent coverage. so I think a bag bellows is justified even if one is shooting with a 90mm lens.

roteague
29-Dec-2007, 20:51
I received my Nikkor 90mm f/8 lens and I checked out the available movements with the Chamonix stock bellows. It's very clear that the standard bellows is restricting the use of the full image circle. For example, focused at 12 feet, the 90mm is limited to about 25mm of rise out of the possible 45mm the front standard. The Nikkor 90mm has an image circle of 235mm, so it should be able to cover at least 45mm of rise. While the Nikkor has more coverage than any other 90mm f/8 lenses, the faster 90mm lenses have equivalent coverage. so I think a bag bellows is justified even if one is shooting with a 90mm lens.

Thanks for the thoughtful response Barry. I'll check this out with my 80mm XL and let you know what I come up with. So far, I haven't done anything with the camera, other than put it on a tripod.

BarryS
29-Dec-2007, 21:32
That 80mm XL is an amazing lens from what I read and I know it has a very large image circle, so I'd bet you run out of bellows movement before you run out of image circle. It may not matter depending on how you use the lens, but if I paid a small ransom for all that coverage, I'd want to be able to use it when I needed it. :)

buze
30-Dec-2007, 05:21
+1 Focussing hood
+1 Lens shade
+X Carbon lens plates.

For the centering of the front standard, I made a mod that works very well and is almost invisible, I'll post pictures soon.

Oh, and my Voigtlander Telomar 480mm f5.5 works really well on the Chamonix.

Songyun
31-Dec-2007, 16:32
here you go, accessory
1.lensshade
2.reflective viewer
3.leather coat

more to come
carbon filber lensboard
wooden film holder
universal bellow
wide angle bellow
extension for (450c)

Michael Graves
31-Dec-2007, 17:10
here you go, accessory
1.lensshade
2.reflective viewer
3.leather coat

more to come
carbon filber lensboard
wooden film holder
universal bellow
wide angle bellow
extension for (450c)

Cool. Now how about a website where we can go to see your product line?

Songyun
31-Dec-2007, 17:21
Cool. Now how about a website where we can go to see your product line?

ask hugo

davidb
31-Dec-2007, 17:39
The price of the lens board will be $25 for the 4x5 camera
and $500 for the 5x8.

BarryS
31-Dec-2007, 18:52
Cool--I'm in for the wide angle bellows and please place an order for a black leather jacket for davidb's Chamonix. Are there going to be matching chaps? :)

Songyun
31-Dec-2007, 20:19
The price of the lens board will be $25 for the 4x5 camera
and $500 for the 5x8.

davidb,
I just saw the accessory list from Chinese forum, and like to share with ppl here(I am not associated with Chamonix, just as a normal customer like 50+ others here). If you are not happy with the price of 5X8, you can talk to Hugo. Somebody may think your comments funny, but I don't appreciate post like this.

Daniel_Buck
1-Jan-2008, 01:43
I'd probably be up for a bag/wide bellow.

Chris Dunham
5-Jan-2008, 03:48
I would put my hand up for an 'All-Weather Focusing Hood' along the lines of the Ebony example.

Chris.