PDA

View Full Version : Which Tool for Filter Ring Dents?

Kevin Crisp
21-Dec-2007, 11:44
I wanted to get something to fix these. There are pliars for this available from Micro-tools. They also have a vice like device that is much bigger and, surprisingly, less expensive. Has anybody done enough to this type of repair to make a recommendation?

c.d.ewen
21-Dec-2007, 12:42
I picked up one of the vice-type tools:

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=LV1

The first, and only, time I tried to use it, the mild steel turning rod bent all to heck without putting a dent in the dent I wanted to take out. I put it on the shelf and haven't touched it since.

Just my $0.02.

Charley

Kevin Crisp
21-Dec-2007, 12:48
Thanks, maybe the pliars are the way to go.

resummerfield
21-Dec-2007, 13:13
I have both the pliers and the spreader-vise. I’ve straightened a few lens filter ring dents, and in all cases, I achieved better results with the spreader-vise. I snug it up and tap the outside of the filter ring with a soft hammer, which seems to relax the metal slightly. Continue tightening and tapping until the ring is close to round. When I used the pliers, I always seemed to damage or mark the outside of the filter ring.

soeren
21-Dec-2007, 13:37
May I ask what the pliers are called? could you post a link maybe?
Kind regards
Søren

Kevin Crisp
21-Dec-2007, 13:42
"Lens Ring Straightening Pliars," item "LRP" at Micro-Tools.

soeren
21-Dec-2007, 13:53
Kind regards
Søren

c.d.ewen
21-Dec-2007, 14:51
I have both the pliers and the spreader-vise. I’ve straightened a few lens filter ring dents, and in all cases, I achieved better results with the spreader-vise. I snug it up and tap the outside of the filter ring with a soft hammer, which seems to relax the metal slightly. Continue tightening and tapping until the ring is close to round. When I used the pliers, I always seemed to damage or mark the outside of the filter ring.

Eric:

Tapping may be the secret. I wouldn't trust myself to tap on the outside of the ring, though. I've had better luck cradling the lens in a hollowed out piece of hardwood, and tapping the dent outwards from the lens side with a piece of hardwood. I think Micro-Tools used to sell a hardwood cradle set.

Charley