PDA

View Full Version : caltar II-N

false_Aesthetic
20-Dec-2007, 08:09
Hey,

I'm interested in a 180mm lens for 5x7. I've done a bit of digging and found that the Caltar II-Ns are made by rodenstock. What is the comparable lens in the Rodenstock line-up?

I thought it'd be an Apo-Sironar N but there's no 180mm mentioned on the Linos/Rodenstock website

Is it an Apo-Sironar S?

Thanks

Oren Grad
20-Dec-2007, 08:40
It's the Apo-Sironar-N. The reason you don't see it on the Linos website is that the Apo-Sironar-N series has been discontinued, except for the 150 and 210 focal lengths.

false_Aesthetic
20-Dec-2007, 09:27
Thanks

David A. Goldfarb
20-Dec-2007, 10:43
I have that lens in the Caltar II-N version and recommend it highly.

Ted Harris
20-Dec-2007, 12:56
I use it for 5x7 but find that I generally prefer my 150 Apo Sironar W and when I move longer it is most frequently to a 240.

Joseph O'Neil
20-Dec-2007, 13:22
I have the older APO-Sironar, no "N" or "S", in 180mm, and i live it very much for 4x5. Never used it on 5x7. I suspect my version is very similar if not identical to the "N" version or the one you are looking at.

As far as sharpness goes, very difficult, IMO, to say the new "S is better in that regard. Coating might very well be better as they are newer lenses. Usually the "S" version has a larger image circle which is always nice - you never have too large an image circle. :) Sometimes that larger circle is worth every penny.

false_Aesthetic
20-Dec-2007, 13:55
Yeah, Ideally I'd like to get a phatty boom batty lens for my 5x7 but most 180s are a bit out of my price range right now. I figured a 180mm on 5x7 is similar to a 125 on 4x5 (its the look I'm most familiar with)--correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyways, KEH has some 180mm Caltars for sale under $400 that I was checking out. Thats why I asked.

tim810
20-Dec-2007, 16:27
I use a caltar 240 nII on my 810 and love it. Sharp as a razor and tons of movements!!! I belive that the diference between the N and the S is coverage. The N has more coverage.

Oren Grad
20-Dec-2007, 21:57
I figured a 180mm on 5x7 is similar to a 125 on 4x5 (its the look I'm most familiar with)--correct me if I'm wrong.

I've used a 125 on 4x5 as well as a 180 on 5x7; I'd say the "feel" of the latter is a bit tighter, closer to a 135 on 4x5 if you're comfortable translating such things across different aspect ratios. For my taste, 180 is a good semi-wide focal length for 5x7, especially if you're going to enlarge. For negatives intended for contact printing, though, I've found myself reaching for a 210, which is exactly normal, more often.

On a couple of the other points raised - the Apo-Sironar (no "S" or "N"; it's the predecessor of the later "W" series) was made only in 150, 210 and 300 focal lengths. For a given focal length, the S always has larger coverage than the N. In the 180 focal length, though, even the N has ample coverage for 5x7.

walter23
21-Dec-2007, 00:25
I have that lens in the Caltar II-N version and recommend it highly.

Caltars are quality control rejects. Mushy and soft and sometimes with coating flaws that lead to ghosting and reflections.

I'm going to repeat this line until I fill out my other desired focal lengths with Caltar II N's, too. Prices are climbing on the things.

Caltars are crap. Junk lenses. Forget all about them. Don't bid on them.

false_Aesthetic
21-Dec-2007, 05:38
Caltars are quality control rejects. Mushy and soft and sometimes with coating flaws that lead to ghosting and reflections.

I'm going to repeat this line until I fill out my other desired focal lengths with Caltar II N's, too. Prices are climbing on the things.

Is this a joke?

David A. Goldfarb
21-Dec-2007, 05:43
I think it is.

Bob Salomon
21-Dec-2007, 07:35
All Apo Sironar N lenses, except for the 150 and 210mm (as noted earlier) are discontinued and out of production. As we no longer need to exhibt and show the N series lenses other then the 150 and 210mm we have two show sample lenses left in stock that your dealerss can buy at steep discounts. A 180mm and a 240mm. After these two specific lenses are sold only the 150 and 210 will be available new.

As these lenses (the 180 and 240mm) are from our stock they would still carry the US Rodenstock lifetime warranty on the lens against manufacturing defects and the three year warranty on the shutter.

If anyone wants a new - demo lens they should contact their camera store. We are not offering these lenses for a direct sale and there are exactly one of each left. We have no non demo versions of these or any other discontinued N lens.

gregstidham
21-Dec-2007, 09:52

I agree. Especially the 210mm that I am looking to buy soon.

Alan Davenport
21-Dec-2007, 10:15
Caltars are quality control rejects. Mushy and soft and sometimes with coating flaws that lead to ghosting and reflections. <SNIP!>Junk lenses. Forget all about them. Don't bid on them.

I couldn't agree more. My 150mm f/5.6 Caltar II-N is obviously a statistical anomaly, since it is an outstanding piece of glass.

erie patsellis
21-Dec-2007, 10:47
Yup, I'd agree with walter, any of the caltars are just plain junk, especially the 300 5.6's. Yessirree, I wouldn't bid on any....at least until I can find one at a price I can afford...

erie

Kuzano
21-Dec-2007, 11:35

I drive old BMW's (75-82). I try this same tactic on the forums I visit for BMW. My experience with these old cars has been that they are inexpensive to acquire, have character, and are as reliable as most cars on the road today. The only problem is that the idjits who drive prices up are the purposely uninformed.... People who don't want to do the research. Impulse BUYERS. So it appears to be with Caltars. I love my 150, but this is the only time you will ever hear me praise it where the public can see my remarks.

People who don't want the prices to skyrocket, should not sing the praises. Get off the board and email the inquiring minds... don't state how wonderful things are for the world to see.... DO YOU GET IT?????? It's NOT a joke.... it's simple economics 101. Do do not create desire or demand if you want low prices.