PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a compendium for an Ebony

otzi
20-Dec-2007, 05:43
After considerable and personal internal discussion I came to the conclusion that an Ebony 45SU could sooth the soul. But it seems that although they put considerable energy into the camera design and several accessories, including a fancy adjustable extension back, they offer no compendium for their model range.

Strange I thought. An email to them returned a no interest response. Maybe there is no flaring type light in Japan.

So, does anyone know of any other compendium that would work well on this camera.

Clyde Rogers
20-Dec-2007, 06:54
I can't help you with the compendium, but can say that Ebony offers their shade clip instead (you clip the GG protector to it, and orient it to shade the lens), and that I prefer it to a compendium shade. YMMV...

The 45SU looks like a very nice camera. I hope you enjoy it.

Until later,

--clyde

PViapiano
20-Dec-2007, 10:14
Do a search here for compendium...I participated in a thread regarding these a while back and a gentleman here who had written an article for Photo Techniques (?) replied with some very good third-party solutions. Basically, he used a step-up filter ring and attached a set of barn-doors from a small hot-light...supposedly works like a charm, with much more contrast than just using the shade clip. Makes a lot of sense...

darr
20-Dec-2007, 10:24
I use a Lee medium wide-angle lens hood and a Mamiya G-3 bellows hood depending upon the lens I use with my 45SU. I find the Lee system to be expensive, but the easiest to adapt my lenses to. You can have a look at the Lee system here (http://www.leefilters.com/downloads/assets/System_Brochure.pdf).

Brian Ellis
20-Dec-2007, 10:40
I used the Ebony shade clip for a while. It's a nice enough accessory as far as it goes but IMHO it doesn't take the place of a good compendium. It will block direct sunlight from striking the lens but you can usually do that as well with your hand. It doesn't prevent indirect bright light (e.g. bright diffused light) from hitting the lens, which is the purpose of a good compendium.

Robert A. Zeichner
20-Dec-2007, 14:44
Do a search here for compendium...I participated in a thread regarding these a while back and a gentleman here who had written an article for Photo Techniques (?) replied with some very good third-party solutions. Basically, he used a step-up filter ring and attached a set of barn-doors from a small hot-light...supposedly works like a charm, with much more contrast than just using the shade clip. Makes a lot of sense...

That was no gentleman, that was me ;)

Here is a link to that article: http://web.mac.com/razeichner/iWeb/RAZP%20large%20pix/Shade%20pg%201.html

Clyde Rogers
20-Dec-2007, 15:16
My compendium shade is too bulky, so is often left behind. The Ebony clip is imperfect, but for me, is far better than nothing---and I don't accidentally get the darkslide in the photo like I sometimes do when shading by hand...

I glanced at the PT article when it came out, but after this thread I'm actually going to have to read it!

Later,

--clyde

otzi
20-Dec-2007, 16:54
I feel that most bright light causing flair can be seen on the glass, both lens and ground. It's the subtle refraction caused by reflections, mist, fog, overcast etc. that tends to desaturate the image. The compendiums purpose is to restrict as much as possible this non image forming light. To this end the semi fixed lens cones so prelevant render one to not much more that a fixed camera. A compendium needs / must be able to move to cope with all movements.

A lot of us spend hours in the red light distract, trolling the sink edge reaching out to handle the nearest hot faucet. But with age I find the more I do in camera the better off and quicker I am not to mention the monetary savings.

To me a camera and it's compendium are one. Like a car without doors. Goes OK but they are better and preferable,... with. Maybe it's my studio training, for I even use front gobo slides.

Doug Howk
21-Dec-2007, 05:11
Since some Shen-Hao's are knock-offs of Ebony designs, wonder if their compendium hood would fit an Ebony?

TimRoscoe
21-Dec-2007, 13:50
I have been using an Ebony for a few years now and I have always thought that it kinda has its own built in compendium system. I mean, if this is what you are considering:

However, If this is what you use, which is what I have always used:

then, there should be no problem.... am I missing something ?

Tim R

TimRoscoe
21-Dec-2007, 13:53
Well I am obviously missing "how to use the upload feature"....,

but hopefully, you get the idea I was trying to show.

Tim R

timparkin
21-Dec-2007, 17:18
Great article and thanks for mac.com'ing it!

jetcode
19-Mar-2008, 15:27
That was no gentleman, that was me ;)

Here is a link to that article: http://web.mac.com/razeichner/iWeb/RAZP%20large%20pix/Shade%20pg%201.html

Robert - that was some of the most useful information I've run across in a while - thanks

Robert A. Zeichner
19-Mar-2008, 16:25
Robert - that was some of the most useful information I've run across in a while - thanks

I'm gratified that you found it useful. I hope you'll have a chance to experiment with it (barn door shade) or something like it.