PDA

View Full Version : Any update on HP B9180 Vista issues?

Henry T Stanley
18-Dec-2007, 11:11
I need to get a new printer for MF & LF work, but have been holding off til Vista issues resolved. (I bought a super-powerful HP desktop for the purpose, but of course, it comes with Vista.) Anyone heard anything new or hopeful from either HP or MS?

--Stan

Brian Ellis
18-Dec-2007, 16:41
I've been thinking of buying a new computer that will use Vista. What's supposed to be the problem? I know quite a few people who are using Vista with Epson printers and don't have any problems that I know of.

Henry T Stanley
19-Dec-2007, 09:46
Brian -- There seems to be issues with certain size prints - borderless,...mysterious lines and artifacts showing up...and prints specified at 300 dpi, and a file size of 65mb-plus exceeding Vista's max handling size of 64mb (I think I have this all correct, I'll check my references and send you some (other) forum commentaries so you can see for yourself.)

It seems it works well on XP.

Ted Harris has given this printer an outstanding review, but the Vista issue has now surfaced.

Regards, -- Henry

Brian Ellis
19-Dec-2007, 12:20
Thanks Henry, sorry I didn't notice from your subject line that you're talking about an HP printer. I have an Epson 3800 so hopefully there will be no problems with Vista, at least the people I know with Epsons and Vista haven't had a problem.

Brian Ellis
19-Dec-2007, 22:50
Before you buy an HP printer you might want to read this person's experience and the comments that follow it.
http://photomusings.wordpress.com/2007/11/30/hp-z3100-support-woes/

Michael Graves
20-Dec-2007, 04:32
Before you buy an HP printer you might want to read this person's experience and the comments that follow it.
http://photomusings.wordpress.com/2007/11/30/hp-z3100-support-woes/

Really doesn't sound much different from the tech support I got from Epson when I had to call them on an issue. My day job involves dealing with IBM, HP, EMC and Arrow on a daily basis. Of the four, Arrow has the reputation for the "shadiest" and least responsive support team. In reality, they are the only ones that respond immediately to a problem. IBM support is enough to give a guy ulcers, EMC support is "Our product has no problems. It must be you." HP is slow and aggravating, but USUALLY get the problem resolved.

Henry T Stanley
20-Dec-2007, 13:19
Thank you Brian and Michael. Looks like it's an Epson 2400 or 3800 for me. (I did write to Ben Wolf, HP mgr on the Z series, and he has promised to pass my questions/concerns to the appropriate HP manager.) I'll post any responses on this forum. It appears that one solution is to ditch the Vista on my new machine and load XP, but that really sounds regressive.

Thanks again, -- Henry Stanley

Maretzo
20-Dec-2007, 15:54
Saw this somewhere on the Net: The box said, "Requires Windows XP, Vista or better"... so I installed Mac OS/X Leopard.:D

Ted Harris
21-Dec-2007, 07:07
Henry, ditching Vista on the new machine loading XP is not only not regressive, it is sensible. I know several corporate IT managers and not a one of them has migrated their systems to Vista.