PDA

View Full Version : Contact Print Frame Glass?

HBDesert
16-Dec-2007, 21:34
I need to replace the glass in a number of contact print frames. Any suggestions on the type of glass I should be using?

Thanks,

Doug

Merg Ross
16-Dec-2007, 22:17
Doug, why do you need to replace the glass? Is it broken, scratched, missing, producing Newton rings?

Vaughn
16-Dec-2007, 23:44
I have always used window glass...double strength usually. Have the shop sand the edges -- less likely to cut yourself and less likely to crack.

Vaughn

CG
17-Dec-2007, 00:47
Two choices: the aforementioned window glass, if Newton's rings are not an issue, or if the Newton's rings are a problem, Anti Newton's ring glass. The only supplier for AN glass I am aware of is:

Focal Point Ind. Inc.
2867 Stonewall Pl. #101,
Sanford, FL. 32773
www.fpointinc.com

Best,

C

HBDesert
17-Dec-2007, 03:42
The glass is broken in one and scratched in two others.

Thanks for the info,

Doug

Randy H
17-Dec-2007, 05:00
not knowing how meticulous you are, ordinary window glass has a "green" tint to it. (hold it up next to a piece of clear plexi) Most glass suppliers have an "ultra-clear" glass that works well. OR go to the local thrift-shop/flea market and buy appropriate-size picture frames. Last two 8X10's I bought cost me 25 cents a piece that way.

Michael Jones
17-Dec-2007, 06:42
Two choices: the aforementioned window glass, if Newton's rings are not an issue, or if the Newton's rings are a problem, Anti Newton's ring glass. The only supplier for AN glass I am aware of is:

Focal Point Ind. Inc.
2867 Stonewall Pl. #101,
Sanford, FL. 32773
www.fpointinc.com

Best,

C

I had problems with Newton's rings and replaced the glass. Focal Point was my supplier. No more problems.

Mike

Sal Santamaura
17-Dec-2007, 09:08
Don't wait for environmental conditions to cause newton's rings problems as they inevitably will -- someday. Go to your local frame shop and have them cut pieces of "non-glare" glass. Pick a type with the finest texture on one side. Place that textured side against the negatives. You'll never look back.

Asuming you're printing black and white, color of the glass is irrelevant, so there's no need to pay more for low-iron glass. It's iron that gives glass a green tint. Even if contacting color, the green would be balanced out when establishing a filter pack.