PDA

View Full Version : Fomalux 312 Contact Printing Paper

Michael Graves
16-Dec-2007, 10:47
Has anyone tried this? It claims to be a sliver chloride emulsion. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with it.

Gene McCluney
16-Dec-2007, 10:50
It is supposedly a "lower quality" paper designed for making proof sheets. Foma sell it in bulk to the Mexico market.

Christopher Breitenstein
16-Dec-2007, 15:23
Its Unfortunate that the name contact print has become synonymous with proof print.

Michael Graves
16-Dec-2007, 17:16
Guess I won't bother with it then. Thanks for sharing the information.

Toyon
17-Dec-2007, 16:00
Wait a second. Kodak Azo was considered the mass production cheap stuff, not fine art material. As it turns out it was a nice paper on its own merits. I suggest you give the Foma a try and let us know how it turns out.

Sanjay Sen
17-Dec-2007, 19:03
Maybe you should give it a try, who knows you might like it? Just so you are aware, it's RC, if that makes any difference to you. I got a pack from Freestyle and tried it a few days back. (I am new to printing, so I cannot give you an 'expert' opinion, but) I didn't like it too much. YMMV. I jumped when I heard it's a silver chloride contact paper.

Best wishes,
Sanjay

(The attached image is an example, but realize you are looking at a scan on a monitor, etc, etc.)

gbogatko
26-Dec-2008, 22:37
Try it with a water bath.

a) plop it into your developer (Dektol for instance).
b) just when the darks appear "dark enough", transfer to a water bath.
c) let it sit there for another minute or so or longer. DON'T AGITATE.

"Dark enough" is a touchy-feely thing. With long exposure, it's about 5 - 8 seconds. With less, it should be around 10-15 seconds. Your mileage may vary.

Straight development does tend to be over-contrasty.

George

Scott-S
26-Mar-2009, 15:31
I just used it for my first 8x10 contact print. I must say I really like it and its cheap as well. I also like the slow speed as its much easier to do a contact print. It is contrasty for a grade 2 but I prefer contrast.