PDA

View Full Version : homemade 180mm lens test

rippo
14-Dec-2007, 14:58
This is taken using a single achromat lens, scavenged from the front element of an old 35mm zoom. focal length is about 180mm, max aperture is roughly f/4. These are flowers on the table, with window light. I had a pretty extreme back rise on the Toyo, which allowed me to get some aberrations in the lower part of the image, where I wanted them.

Compositionally it could use some help...the extremely shallow DOF makes the image a little busy. Oddly, it wasn't working for me at all until I flipped the image horizontally. Now at least it's a half way decent image, and a proper test of the lens.

Ilford Delta 100, shot at EI 50. Exposure was 1.5 seconds. Developed in HC-110, dilution B.

Digitally toned.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2267/2110818275_238d982da2.jpg

Wimpler
15-Dec-2007, 04:25
Lens looks promising. I think fewer flowers would make composition a lot easier. One sharp and one unsharp and you already have unlimited composure possiblities ;)

rippo
15-Dec-2007, 15:41
Wimpler: i completely agree. simplification of some sort would have improved this immensely. or even a greater DOF perhaps. or even (shock!) color maybe. but i'm intrigued by the possibilities. thanks for your input!