PDA

View Full Version : Lee Gel Snap holder with Resin filters

Diane Maher
13-Dec-2007, 12:11
Is it possible to use the Lee gel snap filter holder with the resin filters without damaging the resin filters? I like to use filters and it's hard to do so on some of these larger older lenses that have no filter threads.

Ted Harris
13-Dec-2007, 12:37
Diane, hopefully someone who has more knowledge will pipe up but AFAIK the snap holders are only meant for the gel filters and, thus, are likely to seriously strained by the much thicker resin filters. Why not just hold the resin filter on with two rubber bands that you put on each corner of the filter and tighten around the lens barrel?

Bryan Lemasters
13-Dec-2007, 13:43
Why not just hold the resin filter on with two rubber bands that you put on each corner of the filter and tighten around the lens barrel?

Hmm, that's a good idea Ted (see, that's why I lurk here), though I can't help invisioning myself inadvertantly "slingshotting" a resin filter over a cliff or into a river.:D Any ideas on avoiding the inevitable scratches where the filter contacts the lens barrel?

John O'Connell
13-Dec-2007, 15:11
Is it possible to use the Lee gel snap filter holder with the resin filters without damaging the resin filters? I like to use filters and it's hard to do so on some of these larger older lenses that have no filter threads.

Maybe, but the holder generally sags a little even with the plastic framed gel or poly filters. And some lenses have funnel-shaped barrels that force the barrel up against the filter with the rubber band holder.

I bought the filter holder with the poly filters, and though I prefer 4" gels in the frames, I'll admit that I often use the poly filters. And you never feel bad about trashing a $5 poly filter, whereas you will with a resin filter or a gel.

(Large lenses, by the way, might be tricky with the snap holder---the opening isn't huge. It works on 77mm lenses OK, but don't count on close to 95mm.)

Brian Ellis
13-Dec-2007, 21:34
I used the Lee snap filter holder with gel filters for quite a while. One day it dawned on me that since the holder and rubber band don't really keep the filter right up against the lens anyhow, why bother with the holder and rubber band, why not just grasp the filter by a corner and hold it up to the lens with my hand. Which is what I've been doing for several years. I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing with resin filters as long as they're big enough to allow you to keep your hand out of the picture.

Mark Woods
14-Dec-2007, 00:33
Ditto Brian.

Terence McDonagh
14-Dec-2007, 06:20
That gets a bit tedious for long exposures, though.

Mark Woods
14-Dec-2007, 08:53
LOL. Yes it does. But hasn't been a problem so far. ;-)

Diane Maher
14-Dec-2007, 12:10
It's also a problem when you are shooting by yourself and trying to block the wind while holding the filter and exposing the negative. Thanks for your replies. I had to ask though since I am using more lenses whose filter threads are either bent or non-existent.