PDA

View Full Version : Using a Plate Camera with Film

ViewCameraNut
12-Dec-2007, 00:36
I am considering purchasing a cheap tele-photo poco D (8x10). It was used with glass plates originally. Can I use this camera with sheet film and would I need to do anything special to do so? Thanks, Mike C.

D. Bryant
12-Dec-2007, 07:29
I am considering purchasing a cheap tele-photo poco D (8x10). It was used with glass plates originally. Can I use this camera with sheet film and would I need to do anything special to do so? Thanks, Mike C.

Yes, well maybe. I'm not familiar with this specific camera but you might be able to find metal film septums that can be loaded with film and inserted into the holder instead of a glass plate.

These septums are not usually easy to find and there is no certainty that there were any made for your holders.

If you haven't purchased the camera I would pass unless you have some other plans for it other than shooting with film.

My 2 cents,

Don Bryant

Ole Tjugen
12-Dec-2007, 08:31
I have several plate cameras I use for film. In sizes up to 18x24cm I have been able to find film adapter sheaths, but for the larger sizes I use temporary glue to attach the film to a glass plate which is then loaded normally.

Search this forum for Ole Tjugens "jam method"...

ViewCameraNut
12-Dec-2007, 09:21
Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate it :-), Mike C.
www.pbase.com/jakeyferret/f32

Glenn Thoreson
13-Dec-2007, 09:43
I have several plate cameras that modern film holders fit perfectly. The registration seems okay, too. That may be worth checking out. I would like to have 4 sheaths for a couple of plate holders, though. Maybe Ole's method would be easier......

D. Bryant
13-Dec-2007, 10:11
Maybe Ole's method would be easier......

I've done it and it's not, IMO.

Don Bryant

Ole Tjugen
13-Dec-2007, 15:05
I've done it and it's not, IMO.
I agree. If modern film holders fit, that's best. If sheaths can be found, that's almost as good (I use 18x24cm bookform plate holders with sheaths in my modern 8x10" camera).

Jam (or other temporary glue) is a last resort, and is only better than film sheets flopping about in a spring-loaded plate holder. :)