PDA

View Full Version : 180s for 5x7

false_Aesthetic
11-Dec-2007, 23:26
Hey,

I was lookin at the 5x7 lens chart for 180mm lenses I'm wondering if someone might break down the differences between them (besides the characteristics mentioned on the chart). In other words, why would I choose one over the other?

Rodenstock APO-Sironar S
Schneider APO-Symmar L
Rodenstock APO-Sironar N
Fujinon CM-W
Nikkor W
Fujinon A

Nick_3536
11-Dec-2007, 23:37
The Fuji A is lighter. Other then that? Filter size? Age?

Matus Kalisky
12-Dec-2007, 02:34
I think it's mostly a matter of coverage and weight. If it is going to be your standard lens I would choose one of the f/5.6 over the Fujinon A which is 1 stop slower. Apart from that - if money is not a problem the Apo Sironar S is very highly regarded. I have a Fujinon 125/5.6 CM-W so I would be biassed in this direction :)
If you want to save some bucks you may look at the Caltar II-N lenses (== Apo Sironar N) or the older versions of Fujinon lenses.

JPlomley
12-Dec-2007, 06:11
I've got the 135/210/300 APO Sironar-S lenses and I would find it hard to believe if there was anything sharper. These are seriously crisp optics. You would not be disappointed with the 180mm.

Ken Lee
12-Dec-2007, 08:10
As much as I love Sironar-S lenses, I think the Fujinon-A series have better rendition of out-of-focus areas, when when fully wide open. When stopped-down, the opposite is the case.

My 180 Fujinon A out-performed my 150 Sironar-S when shooting at close to 1:1 ratio. But that is to be expected, since the A-series are process lenses optimized for close work, while the Sironar-S is optimized for...everything else.

Subjectively, the A series are not as "silky smooth" as the Sironar but these are artistic considerations. It's a bit like discussing the difference between the sound of two violins - or two different brands of film.

Pete Roody
12-Dec-2007, 08:15
You can usually find a Fuji-W for $200-$250 on the bay. Plenty of coverage!

JJ Viau
12-Dec-2007, 08:48
Hello false Aesthetic,
I had an Apo symmar L in this focal length which I used on 5x7" with excellent results and am sure the Sironar S will perform just as well (but with a different look!). I would not use the Fuji A and the Sironar N based on coverage issues and I don´t know the other lenses.
The old mono coated Fuji W had a 80° angle of view (making the 180 W if there was one fantastic for 5x7"), which is not the case of the newer CM-W.
JJ