PDA

View Full Version : Can I borrow someone's 5x7 Fidelity film holder?

alec4444
11-Dec-2007, 17:06
I just need one. I had some film loading problems (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=28780&highlight=Loading+problems) with Vericolor III film in Lisco Regal holders. I'm interested if the Fidelity holders with solve the problem, or if it's a film thing. I'm in NYC, can pick up here. Would be glad to pay for shipping from afar. Time borrowed would be short - I don't need to shoot the film, I just want to see if the film will fit in a Fidelity holder. If it does, I'll go snag some.

Thanks!
--A

Pete Roody
12-Dec-2007, 08:43
I don't have a Fidelity plastic holder but I do have some older wood holders. If you want to try one, I will bring it to work tomorrow.

Pete

Ron Bose
12-Dec-2007, 16:08
How about you mail one sheet of film to a willing participant ?

Gene McCluney
13-Dec-2007, 08:21
Lisco and Fidelity holders (if fairly new) were made in the same factory. I seriously doubt that it is a manufacturing "issue" with either film holder. However sometimes a bit of grit or emulsion or just "stuff" can get under one rail and cause difficulty in loading the film. Older wooden holders had film retaining rails that are looser. I also doubt that Kodak mis-cut a sheet of film. Eastern European films, maybe, but Ilford or Kodak, no. I would diagnose that you have an issue with a particular holder due to something being lodged under the rail, possibly not even visible. You can take a piece of junk film and use it as a broom to sweep out under the film rails.

Terence McDonagh
13-Dec-2007, 10:32
I have a variety of holders you could try, old, new and in between. I work in Midtown.

alec4444
13-Dec-2007, 12:49
Thanks, Guys! Per Ron's suggestion, it may just be easier for me to mail some film out. I'm sure I've got a ruined sheet or two thus far. Terence, where in midtown do you work? I'm at 45th & 6th. I'm actually on vacation beginning tomorrow, but I could either mail one or bring a sheet by in January. Also, which holders could you try?

Pete, thanks for your offer! If Terence has a few wood holders, that'll be covered.

Gene - this film failed all six Lisco holders I have, so it's not grit. These things are squeaky clean. Ilford film fit fine. Direct comparison from the Kodak to the Ilford and you can see the size difference. It's somewhere ~ 1.5mm

Cheers!
--A

Kevin Crisp
13-Dec-2007, 12:54
Alec: I probably have an example of every 5X7 holder made except the new Chinese ones. Give me the exact width of the film and I'll see if something that wide fits. I have calipers, be as precise as you can.

David A. Goldfarb
13-Dec-2007, 12:56
Hard as it may be to believe that Kodak has miscut film, I think that's the likely explanation here, and I doubt they'll replace outdated VPSIII at this point.

If you want to drop by after dark one night, I can set you up with the Rotatrim.

Terence McDonagh
13-Dec-2007, 12:56
42nd and 6th. I'm building the new Bank of America tower.

I have Fidelity, Lisco, Regal, Kodak and Ansco. Maybe some others, too.

alec4444
14-Dec-2007, 20:01
Hey Kevin - best ruler I have is one of those wooden ones from forever ago. The measurement wouldn't be great, but thanks!

I'm thinking the best bet is to try to find a film holder with a little "play" in it and get a couple of those. I may even be able to carefully file a wood holder down a little. Terence, I'd love to drop some film by one day - I'll PM you to set it up. I know the building you're talking about - I got a glass shower from it coming out of the photography museum after lunch one day. Hope it's going better, now. I saw they closed off the street today - my guess is because of ice or something.

David, if this fails I'll take you up on the Rotatrim offer. How fine of a cut can that perform?

Cheers!
--A

eddie
16-Dec-2007, 05:28
42nd and 6th. I'm building the new Bank of America tower.

I have Fidelity, Lisco, Regal, Kodak and Ansco. Maybe some others, too.

OT. how about some photos from your building site?....

David A. Goldfarb
16-Dec-2007, 05:36
David, if this fails I'll take you up on the Rotatrim offer. How fine of a cut can that perform?

Cheers!
--A

Once you get the hang of it, you can trim off less than 1/16" in the dark reliably. I've been cutting down some 8x10" to 4x5" and discovered that one sheet of 8x10" is ever so slightly larger than four sheets of 4x5".

Nick_3536
16-Dec-2007, 06:48
Gene - this film failed all six Lisco holders I have, so it's not grit. These things are squeaky clean. Ilford film fit fine. Direct comparison from the Kodak to the Ilford and you can see the size difference. It's somewhere ~ 1.5mm

Cheers!
--A

You can visually see 1.5mm? Why not check the Ansi film holder standard. It used to be online some place. :confused: I'm fairly certain the standard had enough play in it that 1.5mm shouldn't matter.

Ole Tjugen
16-Dec-2007, 06:50
I just need one. I had some film loading problems (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=28780&highlight=Loading+problems) with Vericolor III film in Lisco Regal holders. I'm interested if the Fidelity holders with solve the problem, or if it's a film thing. I'm in NYC, can pick up here. Would be glad to pay for shipping from afar. Time borrowed would be short - I don't need to shoot the film, I just want to see if the film will fit in a Fidelity holder. If it does, I'll go snag some.

Thanks!
--A

I have a feeling that a 13x18cm holder would solve your problem, regardless of make. :)