PDA

View Full Version : Final Canham Question

Greg Liscio
10-Dec-2007, 18:28
One more from the Newbie,

In getting the Canham 4X5, what are the pros/cons of the wooden/traditional model vs. the metal DLC model?

Thanks, as always.
Greg

Ted Harris
10-Dec-2007, 18:37
Greg, the wooden traditional model is a 5x7 that can be ordered with either a 4x5 or 5x7 back. Thus, it is larger and heavier. Go to the Canham website and you can compare the two. Basically, either one has more movements than you are likely to use in the field. I've use the T57, with both backs, for 10+ years with no complaints. I have also used the DLC several times and found it to be smooth and easy to use.

If you think you might be interested in 5x7 get the wooden one. If not, get the metal.

Clyde Rogers
11-Dec-2007, 07:51
These are both very fine cameras. Here are the differences I care about.

The wooden camera is notably larger, and is heavier than the website says (mine is nearly 6.5 pounds). I don't enjoy packing it around on long hikes, but maybe I could fix that if I'd pack it differently.

The wood camera is more stable at long extension than the metal camera. The rear standard on the DLC has a fair bit of leverage going on, so is flexier than the wood camera's (but not so flexy that it's a problem). The wood camera just seems stronger, and zeroing on setup seems more positive. Both are acceptable, however.

The bellows on the DLC is amazingly flexible, allowing more movement than the wooden camera before it interferes. I've sometimes had the bellows interfere with front rise using 110 XL on the wood camera---I should either get a bag or a DLC style bellows for the wood camera, but it's another thing to carry...

The DLC would be a simpler camera for roll film, although either work just fine (the DLC has a graflock-compatible back, with the wood camera you put the GG protector on and stick the holder under it).

The DLC has significantly more direct front rise, although either camera can use tilts to get more rise or fall when needed. The wood camera has front axis tilt, metal has base tilts only.

Adding a 5x7 back to the wood camera is cheap and easy. The wood camera has 4x10, 5x12 and (soon) whole plate conversion kits. These are trivial to change out, very well made, and cheaper than an entire new camera. The wood camera wins hands down for format versatility.

Until later,

Clyde