PDA

View Full Version : Linhof 8x10 Kardan The Beast Triplex?

rknewcomb
10-Dec-2007, 13:37
I've seen postings talking about the older hugh and heavy 8x10 Linhof Kardan Color Triplex camera. What does the triplex part mean? Format change ability or what? Also, did these have two different length rails or extensions? And, is anybody actually using one of these?
I was thinking about getting one, mostly for portraits with those big fat brass lenses and can't find much information on them.
Would the later Karand Bi be a better choice?
thank you!

Peter K
10-Dec-2007, 15:13
The Kardan Color was the second monorail view camera made by Linhof from 1956 to 1964. The first was the Kardan, made between 1952 to 1956. Both had the same massive monorail and could be used in double- and triple-section configuration. Triple means the camera uses three standarts and two bellows. The triple-section has a maximum bellows-extention from 1m (3.3 feet). The shortest focal-lenght for this camera is 120mm, of course with only two standarts. One needs a realy sturdy tripod for this camera, but can also use the heaviest lenses. There were tripods aviable with electro motors and hydraulic brakes.

The Kardan-Bi isn't as heavy but can also used with massive lenses like the SA 210. In the triple-section configuration up to 1m bellows extention also. Compared to the Kardan-Color the Kardan-Bi has additional base tilt.

This cameras had reducing frames down to 6.5x9 cm (2 1/4 x 3 1/4 ").

Peter K

Phil
10-Dec-2007, 20:35
Check this page - there is a triplex shown on a stand and details about it in the text:

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/linhof57/p7.html

I have an 8x10 - I need to get a lens mounted and it's ready to shoot. It's a very sturdy camera that needs a very rugged tripod or stand.

Phil

David A. Goldfarb
10-Dec-2007, 20:51
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/linhof57/p7.html

Check out the "Gigant" camera stand. Did photographers all wear white lab coats with pocket protectors in those days?

rknewcomb
11-Dec-2007, 06:36
Thank you for all the great information! I have most of an 5x7 Saltzman enlarger that is not good enough for an enlarger, but i thought it would make a good heavy duty camera stand for the studio - looks like I'll need it.
Robert

rknewcomb
11-Dec-2007, 19:24
Does anyone know if the 8x10 Kardan (the beast) uses rail extensions? I know they made a longer rail for the Triplex, but did they also make a rail extension? The camera that I'm looking at has about a 24 inch rail, but there is a knob at the end of the rail that I wonder if its for an extension of some sort?

rknewcomb
11-Dec-2007, 19:34
Is this knob for a rail extension?

Leonard Robertson
12-Dec-2007, 11:43
Looking at a couple of Linhof catalogs I have indicates the earlier Kardans came with just two length rails - 24" and 40". Later ones used a three section rail made up of 13" sections. This style rail has the knob on the end of the rail like the one in your picture. So I imagine the camera you are looking at will take a third rail section, if you can find the piece. You might try contacting Lens & Repro in NYC and ask if they ever find these. Or maybe: http://www.glennview.com/vcam.htm Both these sources will be expensive, but might have what you need.

Peter K
12-Dec-2007, 16:06
The first Kardan-Color was equiped with the same black plastic knobs used with the Kardan. Than the knobs where dark-purple and the last series had the white knobs. Cameras with purple knobs and golden-brown finish are older as cameras with purple knobs and silver finish.

Peter K

Michael Kadillak
12-Dec-2007, 18:20
Does anyone know if the 8x10 Kardan (the beast) uses rail extensions? I know they made a longer rail for the Triplex, but did they also make a rail extension? The camera that I'm looking at has about a 24 inch rail, but there is a knob at the end of the rail that I wonder if its for an extension of some sort?

I have a like new Linhof Color Karden triplex camera that has single rails of 16". 28" 39" and 51 1/2". I would think that from a structural perspective assembling rails with a camera that is this heavy would be problematic and I am not aware of any way to do so. I ended up acquiring a set of plastic end caps that sealed the rail ends perfectly.

Tin Can
4-Apr-2021, 15:55
Found this just now while looking at new post today about ancient Linhof studio stand

I can now say I have 2 triple 8X10, one for spares

At one time I was going to make a new rail as it is a common metric size, my first Linhof has very rusty chrome, which can also be redone

I have a like new Linhof Color Karden triplex camera that has single rails of 16". 28" 39" and 51 1/2". I would think that from a structural perspective assembling rails with a camera that is this heavy would be problematic and I am not aware of any way to do so. I ended up acquiring a set of plastic end caps that sealed the rail ends perfectly.