PDA

View Full Version : Durst Laborator 1000 condenser lens

Ralf
27-Nov-2000, 11:49
Hi, I have ruined the lower condenser lens of my Durst Laborator 1000 4x5 enlarger. My questions are: are these lenses still manufactured and does anybody know a so urce to purchase one? (Durst Italy unfortunately refuses to respond to any e-mai ls). Does the condenser lenses of the newer models fit the older ones? Thanks.

David_892
27-Nov-2000, 12:08
One thing I'd suggest is try ringing round secondhand shops and repairers or anywhere someone may have taken a Condenser laborator in to swap for a multigrade head. Alternativly save up for a multigrade head as IMHO they make things very easy, bar the dodging and burning.

Martin Jangowski
28-Nov-2000, 07:43
Try the usual second-hand sources (in .de):

Hasken +49 89 281477 Woog +49 711 5782868 Hatzfeld +49 69 232077 Hoenig +49 6162 6410

Martin

andrea milano
30-Nov-2000, 03:25
Try this address in Holland http://www.fotoabro.nl they have lots of second hand stuff, they do not usually sell parts like condensors because they keep them to repair enlargers which might come without all parts. Tell them that I gave you the address, it might just help.

smilly_mike
14-Jan-2010, 10:21
Hello I have the condenser lens if you are interested.

I have the whole unit with the 2 condenser lenses.
I am located in Canada

Michel

dfoo
14-Jan-2010, 13:23
Search for otocon on ebay. There are several condensers available for the L1000. You can also check:

http://www.leoscamera.com/clearance/
http://www.cambridgeworld.com/
http://www.jensen-optical.us/

dfoo
14-Jan-2010, 13:25
Also, what condenser do you want Ralf? 180?

Tony Lakin
14-Jan-2010, 15:17
Ralf
I have a Laborator 1000 with a Camcap condenser head, the condensers themselves are called Camcon, I believe that there was another condenser head for the L1000 so I think it would be advisable for you to be specific about the condenser you require.

I hope this helps.

Good luck

dfoo
14-Jan-2010, 20:16
Yes, my L1000 has the durst head and the condensers are otocon. There are several different condensers for the head depending on what you want to print. The manual has the various combinations.

Does anyone know what the correct replacement bulb is for this head btw?

ac12
30-Jan-2013, 00:21
I am missing a condenser lens for my newly acquired L1000, the 180-1 condenser.
If anyone has a lead on one, please let me know.
Thanks

Woodturner-fran
31-Jan-2013, 07:02
Hens teeth I would imagine. There is so little written about these enlargers, the chances of finding spares are almost nil. Better off at this stage to try find another head that will fit? Its a pity as they are very good (I use one myself).

swittmann
9-Feb-2013, 07:52
I am missing a condenser lens for my newly acquired L1000, the 180-1 condenser.
If anyone has a lead on one, please let me know.
Thanks

Hi,

Here are two for sale (I am not related to the seller, just saw this)
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=Otocon&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I have this enlarger, too, and think it's a fine piece of equipment.

Good luck!

Sandra

ac12
6-Mar-2013, 02:22
Sandra
I am still in the set up process, and have yet to order the bulbs.
What wattage bulb are you running in your L1000?
I have a choice of 40, 60 and 100 watts.
I know I will get 60 and 100, but not sure about the 40w bulb.

Thanks
Gary

swittmann
29-Mar-2013, 12:48
Gary,

Sorry for the late reply; I somehow missed your post.

Mine is a 150 w bulb, E27. Hope this helps.

Are you using your L1000 yet? :)

Best regards,
Sandra

ac12
29-Mar-2013, 15:22
Sandra
I purchased both 60w and 100w G40 bulbs. 100w is the highest wattage that I could find in a G40 bulb.
The L1000 is impatiently waiting for me to finish the basement/darkroom construction.

BTW are you using a heat absorbing glass in your L1000?
Mine does not have one, and I am trying to determine if I need to install one.
I am trying to get a pix of a genuine Durst HA glass to determine how to get one made and installed.

Woodturner-fran
30-Mar-2013, 15:34
No heat absorbing glass on mine....

SMBooth
30-Mar-2013, 18:14
Only need the heat glass if using the filter tray on the side.

swittmann
2-Apr-2013, 06:46
Gary,
No heat filter (TAUCALO) here either. The manual recommends it when one uses the glassless OTOPFE metal masks (as I do, at least for 35mm and 6x6). No problems so far, but maybe I was just lucky :confused:

Shane,
Now you got me thinking... I ordered a filter drawer, but admittedly did not consider that the heat might destroy the filters... I have always used under-the-lens multigrade filters, so this was never an issue. So I take it that I should use a heat filter now?

ac12
2-Apr-2013, 09:16
Sandra
I also plan to use the glassless Otopfe negative masks.

Do you have the TAUFIL filter drawer in your L1000?
If so, could you provide me with a description of it.
Not being able to find it, I think I will "try" to fabricate it.
Is it one piece (just a drawer) or 2 pieces (a sleeve and a drawer)?

Thanks
Gary

swittmann
2-Apr-2013, 22:06
Gary,
The filter drawer is still on it's way to me and should arrive soon, maybe today. I found it at a Durst service in the UK, northernphoto.co.uk

I will get back to you once the filter drawer arrived and give you more details. It is the TAUFIL filter drawer, yes.
Now I need to buy the filters and cut them to size... and have no idea how to do that without breaking them -LOL! I will find out (I hope) :rolleyes: *sigh* and even if I manage to cut them without destroying them, they might melt when used because I have no heat filter. What a promising outlook, huh? - haha ;)

Sandra

ac12
2-Apr-2013, 23:07
Sandra,
I have the Ilford 6x6 inch MC filters, which should be easy to cut with a pair of scissors. That is what I had planned on using in the TAUFIL.

I emailed Northern Photo about a Taufil, and received a reply.
It seems that you got the last Taufil that they had.

Did you ask them if they had the TAUCALO heat absorbing glass?

Since I cannot find a TAUCALO, I am looking for a vendor to cut me a 1/8 inch thick piece of HA glass to fit into the shallow depression where the TAUCALO would go. I'm still waiting to hear back from the vendors.

swittmann
4-Apr-2013, 13:40
Gary,

I received the filter drawer yesterday, but I think it was the wrong one... There is no way I can insert this thing. From it's design/look, it might fit to an enlarger model even older than mine. I will contact the seller and see what he says. I will take some pictures of the filter drawer and my Laborator.

Over at apug, I saw someone posted a picture of the Taufil which looked completely different to the filter drawer I have now. My guess is that the names of the Durst parts are just too confusing, so it just can happen that things get mixed up.

I did not ask about the heat filter.

So I guess I will end up buying a new set of ilford under-the-lens filters. Live and learn.

Sandra

Woodturner-fran
5-Apr-2013, 12:25
I don't know if its any good to you, but here is how I set up the filters for my 1000:

ac12
5-Apr-2013, 14:43
I was thinking of just resting it on the red filter holder (w/o the red filter). Mainly because my red filter holder is missing the red filter.
But old habbits die hard, and I keep wanting to put the VC/MC filters above the negative.

swittmann
5-Apr-2013, 23:02
Thank you, guys. I have been doing the same as you, Gary. Woodturner, your solution looks great!

I did not find the time to make the photos of the filter drawer and the enlarger yet. Will post again later.

Woodturner-fran
6-Apr-2013, 00:43
Thanks - its just some bent wire. It suits my methods very well as I do a good bit of split grade printing and being able to quickly swap the filters is great.

Fran

swittmann
8-Apr-2013, 09:24
Please excuse my slow communication, everyone...

I finally took some photos of the filter drawer and my enlarger.

Well, I sent the seller an email and asked him for assistance. Maybe it *is* the correct filter drawer and then he might tell me how to insert it, but I fear it is not the correct model.

Maybe one of the knowledgeable people here at the forum has an idea?

Sandra

ac12
8-Apr-2013, 10:08
It does not look right.

On the right side of the mirror housing is a rectangular metal plate held on by 2 screws.
Unscrew the 2 screws, and remove the plate.
The Taufil is supposed to slide into the upright opening that you just exposed.

But the shape of the holes in the filter drawer does not make sense. The hole has to line up with the opening between the lamp housing and the mirror housing, and it does not look like it would.

swittmann
8-Apr-2013, 11:16
Gary,

Thank you. I already got a reply from the seller, just a few minutes after I wrote to him. He told me to send back the drawer and he will refund. Things like that can happen, no problem. He even sent me the instruction manual for my enlarger, which I find very kind.

(quote)On the right side of the mirror housing is a rectangular metal plate held on by 2 screws.
Unscrew the 2 screws, and remove the plate. (/quote)
Yes, I thought that this would be the place where the drawer should be inserted. It would be very close to the lamp/bulb indeed and now it makes perfect sense that a heat filter would be necessary then.

I will get myself another set of under-the-lens filters now. Mine are 10+ yrs. old and look like they have their best times behind them ;-)

Gary, have you heard back from the vendors regarding the HA glass? Good luck with that!

Sandra

ac12
8-Apr-2013, 22:12
Sandra
Not heard back from any of the HA vendors.
Maybe my order is too small to deal with. :-(

Well it sounds like a good thing that I did not order a TAUFIL from them, shipping back to them would be expensive.

Yes the under lens filter location or laying the filter on top of the upper condenser seems to be the only options w/o the Taufil.
And in practice the upright drawer of the Taufil might be tricky to use, as the filter has to be held in the drawer while upright, vs laying flat on a horizontal drawer.

Saus
11-Dec-2014, 15:29
Sorry for necrobumping, but I am in need of a condenser lens for the L1000 as well... I need one 180-1. If anyone has one and is willing to sell it, please let me know! I have a 180-2 and a 160 if anyone wants to trade.

ac12
22-Dec-2014, 21:57
Saus
I "think" I might have an extra 180-1 condenser lens. But it is currently "burried" in my garage, so finding it will be a chore that has to wait till after the holidays.
Also, my notes indicate that it may be scratched. I don't know how little/bad the scratches are until I can find it and look at it.
PM me in Jan 2015 to remind me to look for the condenser lens.

I will trade for the 160 condenser lens.

Saus
23-Dec-2014, 02:47
ac12
Will do! Let's hope your notes were wrong.

ac12
23-Dec-2014, 23:33
Saus,
I just noticed your location in Norway.
Shipping will likely be EXPENSIVE to/from the US.
I recommend you try to find one in Europe first, so the shipping would be more reasonable.
If you can't find one in Europe, then we can talk later.

Saus
24-Dec-2014, 03:26
ac12,
I agree. Thanks for the offer. I know Kienzle in Germany makes spare parts and accessories for the L1000 (http://www.kienzle-phototechnik.de/_Durst__138S___L1000___u_a_/_durst__138s___l1000___u_a_.html). I will try with them first.

ac12
26-Dec-2014, 22:14
Saus
Also check eBay.
I got one of my L-1000 condenser lenses from someone in France. And the shipping from France to the US was EXPENSIVE.

yosemitesamiam
3-Feb-2016, 12:44
I don't know if its any good to you, but here is how I set up the filters for my 1000:

Old thread I know...I like this setup...especially since it appears I'm missing my filter drawer, and, honestly....where the heck would I find filters that big anyway?? I have Laborator CE 1000. I think the filters are something like 8"...anyway...I'm curious to know how big your square are!

Thanks,

Sam

Crowbar56au
14-Feb-2016, 19:16
I bought a set of 12cm x 12 cm Ilford vari-contrast filters from B&H. I have the TAUFIL drawer also. I place a filter loosely on top of the highest condenser and its a neat fit - no heat damage also. I do not use the filter draw because its too close to the 150 watt lamp, like you I suspect they would melt.

Cheers, Bruce

Gary,
The filter drawer is still on it's way to me and should arrive soon, maybe today. I found it at a Durst service in the UK, northernphoto.co.uk

I will get back to you once the filter drawer arrived and give you more details. It is the TAUFIL filter drawer, yes.
Now I need to buy the filters and cut them to size... and have no idea how to do that without breaking them -LOL! I will find out (I hope) :rolleyes: *sigh* and even if I manage to cut them without destroying them, they might melt when used because I have no heat filter. What a promising outlook, huh? - haha ;)

Sandra

Crowbar56au
14-Feb-2016, 19:21
I bought a set of 12cm x 12 cm Ilford vari-contrast filters from B&H. I have the TAUFIL drawer also. I place a filter loosely on top of the highest condenser and its a neat fit - no heat damage also. I do not use the filter draw because its too close to the 150 watt lamp, like you I suspect they would melt.

Cheers, Bruce

Gary,

Sandra