PDA

View Full Version : What is a 300mm f9 Nikkor Q?

Gene McCluney
9-Dec-2007, 12:57
I am familiar with the Nikkor M, and W lens lines, but what is this 300mm f9 Nikkor Q mounted in Copal 3 shutter I won? The seller says it is designed as a compact lens for 8x10. Was this the predecessor to the Nikkor M?? Any info is helpful, hopefully someday I will get the lens (seller is slow). If you want to look, the completed sale is item number 140177841724

Sheldon N
9-Dec-2007, 13:46
If I remember right, it is the predecessor to the Nikkor-M. I think it's a similar design with slightly simpler coatings. I've usually seen them fit into a Copal 1 shutter.

Jim Galli
9-Dec-2007, 15:49
From the Wiki:

The letter U, B, T, Q, P, H, S, O, N, or D immediately after the "Nikkor" name designates the number of elements in the design Uns (1), Bini (2), Tres (3), Quatour (4), Pente (5), Hex (6), Septem (7), Octo (8), Novem (9), or Decem (10).

Q is a 4 element lens. Still is it a dialyte, or a Tessar? The newer ones are Tessar. Yours will be single coated and a fine performer. You got a fine bargain!

The double aperture scale in the photos has me intrigued. A tessar is a non symmetrical lens and cannot be converted. A dialyt is symmetrical and can be uses singly but most people do not.

Jim Noel
10-Dec-2007, 11:27
So Jim, how many elements in a Nikkor "M"? I'm not being assanine, I really want to know since I have one.
Jim

Jim Galli
10-Dec-2007, 11:39
M unlike the earlier letters that designated number of elements in the lens is a designator like W wide? SW super wide? T telephoto for the LF lenses. I don't know what M means. maybe someone else does. "modest?" All Nikkor M's are tessar's. 4 elements 3 groups. Very confusing. I think the guy who dreamed all this stuff up later migrated to Canon and started naming their digital series.

Gene McCluney
10-Dec-2007, 19:24
The double aperture scale in the photos has me intrigued. A tessar is a non symmetrical lens and cannot be converted. A dialyt is symmetrical and can be uses singly but most people do not.

It could be it was remounted into the Copal 3 shutter. It seems very small for that shutter. If I ever get it, it will be easier to speculate.