PDA

View Full Version : What is a 300mm f9 Nikkor Q?

Gene McCluney
9-Dec-2007, 12:57
I am familiar with the Nikkor M, and W lens lines, but what is this 300mm f9 Nikkor Q mounted in Copal 3 shutter I won? The seller says it is designed as a compact lens for 8x10. Was this the predecessor to the Nikkor M?? Any info is helpful, hopefully someday I will get the lens (seller is slow). If you want to look, the completed sale is item number 140177841724

Sheldon N
9-Dec-2007, 13:46
If I remember right, it is the predecessor to the Nikkor-M. I think it's a similar design with slightly simpler coatings. I've usually seen them fit into a Copal 1 shutter.

Jim Galli
9-Dec-2007, 15:49
From the Wiki:

The letter U, B, T, Q, P, H, S, O, N, or D immediately after the "Nikkor" name designates the number of elements in the design — Uns (1), Bini (2), Tres (3), Quatour (4), Pente (5), Hex (6), Septem (7), Octo (8), Novem (9), or Decem (10).

Q is a 4 element lens. Still is it a dialyte, or a Tessar? The newer ones are Tessar. Yours will be single coated and a fine performer. You got a fine bargain!

The double aperture scale in the photos has me intrigued. A tessar is a non symmetrical lens and cannot be converted. A dialyt is symmetrical and can be uses singly but most people do not.

Jim Noel
10-Dec-2007, 11:27
So Jim, how many elements in a Nikkor "M"? I'm not being assanine, I really want to know since I have one.
Jim

Jim Galli
10-Dec-2007, 11:39
M unlike the earlier letters that designated number of elements in the lens is a designator like W wide? SW super wide? T telephoto for the LF lenses. I don't know what M means. maybe someone else does. "modest?" All Nikkor M's are tessar's. 4 elements 3 groups. Very confusing. I think the guy who dreamed all this stuff up later migrated to Canon and started naming their digital series.

Gene McCluney
10-Dec-2007, 19:24
The double aperture scale in the photos has me intrigued. A tessar is a non symmetrical lens and cannot be converted. A dialyt is symmetrical and can be uses singly but most people do not.

It could be it was remounted into the Copal 3 shutter. It seems very small for that shutter. If I ever get it, it will be easier to speculate.