PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite In Spring '08

Ted Stoddard
9-Dec-2007, 09:37
I am in the planning stages of having a get together in the Spring '08 in Yosemite Nat'l Park... Everyone is more than welcome to come it will be for at least 4 days maybe more... Dates to be announced... I am looking at setting up at least 5 campsites each campsite can hold up 6 people... I am going to hike to the top of Half Dome to photograph the valley from above one of those days... This is an informal get together/workshop... We will try to cover as many subjects dealing with LF Photography and exposure and beyond etc... This is a free workshop except for the campsites and food etc... Each campsite is only allowed 2 vehicles each but I have gotten away with 3 with no problems... Most likely I will set up at the Upper Pines Campsite due to its proximity to the Half Dome trail... If interested please send me a pm... I am going through the calendar to check for dates if anyone has any ideas please pass them my way.... Happy Holidays From My Family To Yours!!!

Ted Stoddard
9-Dec-2007, 20:29
Please if interested send name and email via PM so I can add you to the list... Thanks Ted

Ted Stoddard
10-Dec-2007, 09:12
The dates I am looking at are the following:
April 4 to April 8, 2008
April 11 to April 15, 2008
April 18 to April 22, 2008
May 9 to 13, 2008

If interested or have anything to add dont hesitate.... I am thinking of limiting it to 20 people for it to work out much easier for us all... I have already 5 to 7 people on the list...

SchwinnParamount
12-Dec-2007, 19:39
I am going to hike to the top of Half Dome to photograph the valley from above one of those days...

That sounds very strenuous. I could probably manage it with 35mm equipment but lugging a LF camera up there? Are you going to do it?

I am very interested in joining you for everything but that bit. I live in Washington and would be in for a long drive but it's doable I suppose.

Darren Kruger
12-Dec-2007, 22:56
The dates I am looking at are the following:
April 4 to April 8, 2008
April 11 to April 15, 2008
April 18 to April 22, 2008
May 9 to 13, 2008

Do you know when the cables for half dome are usually put up? I know the park don't always have Tioga pass open by July 4th due to snow...

-Darren

Curt Palm
13-Dec-2007, 10:15
Do you know when the cables for half dome are usually put up? I know the park don't always have Tioga pass open by July 4th due to snow...

-Darren

"The Half Dome cables are down for the season; they are usually installed by the third weekend in May, conditions permitting."

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/halfdome.htm

Ted Stoddard
13-Dec-2007, 19:27
My plan is to do the hike if the trail is open... I am hiking with only the essentials 4x5 Tachihara 6 film holders 2 lenses... Food and water...plus the necessities for a safe hike... I most likely will have not more then 10 lbs of gear... maybe slightly more... Schwinn send a PM with your email and name... I am looking at weather conditions everyday to keep an eye out on the conditions up to the get together... I know that its a strenous hike but it can be enjoyable if you prepare and leave at a decent time... I am only planning on getting close enough to photograph the face of half dome and taking a break before I head down... AA did it with a 6 1/4 x 8 1/4 with 10 plates without any ropes or cables... back then... I am leaving before 5am... I want to be back at camp by 4pm... If anyone is interested of joining me PM.... Happy Holidays to All...

Ted Stoddard
14-Dec-2007, 20:12
Looks to me May 9th to the 13th is going to be the set date...

Ted Stoddard
22-Dec-2007, 10:48
May 9th to the 13th are the final dates... I will send an email out to everyone about the camping asap... I have to start making reservations in the next couple of days... Anyone else interested please email me asap... I need to know how many people are attending it is open to everyone... Happy Holidays From My Family To Yours.... Thanks Ted

Ted Stoddard
27-Dec-2007, 10:05
I sent an email to everyone about the camping today if you didnt get it please email me or pm so i can forward you the info... Thanks Ted

Sideshow Bob
2-Jan-2008, 12:30
Ted, I just saw this thread and would be interested in meeting up with the group. Would you please PM me the details?

Gale
P.S. Mid May is an excellent time to go as the Dogwoods should be in bloom.

Ted Stoddard
16-Mar-2008, 05:26
I sent an email out to everyone who was interested but haven't heard back from most of you please email or pm me with a yes or no thanks again Ted

Ted Stoddard
17-May-2008, 08:05
I want to thank the people who came out it was nice meeting everyone and I hope next year will be bigger and better... The dogwoods were nice and abundant but some of the nicer spots were either burned away or to hard to get to... A lot of roads were being worked on so it was very hard to get to some of the better shots... I hiked a few times to places that I knew of because of the roads being worked on... Unfortunately it wasn't a perfect trip because on the way back to see my family in the bay area I had received some very bad news... My nephew Matthew W. Brown who is in the U.S. Army was killed in Afghanistan on May 11, 2008... He was only 20 yrs. old, we will all miss and cherish his life and remember him as a brave and wonderful kid... He died loving what he did and was a great person and soldier, was always the life of the party so to speak... Please keep him in your prayers and thoughts... He will be buried in PA sometime this week coming up... Hope everyone who came had a good time...

David Karp
17-May-2008, 08:47
Ted,

So sorry for your loss. We all owe him a debt of gratitude.