PDA

View Full Version : 'The Book Of Pyro'

kev curry
8-Dec-2007, 05:58
Any of you good folks know where I might find 'The Book Of Pyro' by Gordon Hutchings?

Best
kev

Ted Harris
8-Dec-2007, 06:27
You can probably get one from Bostick & Sullivan. http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=32

kev curry
8-Dec-2007, 06:44
Thanks Ted. Whats with the $38.40 shipping!!!:(
kev

Baxter Bradford
8-Dec-2007, 11:02
Try Paula at Linhof and Studio

kev curry
8-Dec-2007, 11:25
Thanks Baxter I checked their site to find it wasn't listed but I guess a call couldn't hurt.
kev

Baxter Bradford
8-Dec-2007, 11:29
I bought mine from there Kev a few years ago.

But more useful to know, is that she had them on her stand at the Light and Land Discovery day in November. So you ought to be sorted, she also sells ready made PMK which is just the ticket - not for Jobos though.

Chauncey Walden
8-Dec-2007, 13:33
Baxter, PMK works just fine in a Jobo with the addition of a little EDTA as Gordon suggests in the book.

Michael Kadillak
8-Dec-2007, 18:35
I have a brand new copy that I will sell you at a discount.

Cheers!

kev curry
9-Dec-2007, 03:11
Great Michael thanks. PM sent
Regards
kev

kev curry
9-Dec-2007, 10:21
Received 3 great offers of the Book of Pyro from you good folks here! Thank you all so very much for your help.

Kind regards
kev

Gary L. Quay
7-Mar-2008, 21:50
Old thread revival alert.

There are two types of ETDA on the Photographers Formulary site: Disodium Salt, and Tetrasodium Salt. Does it matter which one I use when using pyro in a Jobo processor?

Chauncey Walden
8-Mar-2008, 09:51
Beats me, but the one I am using is from B&S and is labeled "Tetra Sodium".

kev curry
8-Mar-2008, 10:12
Gary from The book of Pyro Gordon Hutchings says........

''Because pure EDTA is nearly insoluble in water it is essential to use EDTA-disodium or EDTA-tetrasodium salt. This compound will dissolve readily. Add approximately 0.05 gm of EDTA to a liter of working solution. The chemical can either be added to the working solution when it is mixed or can be included in the stock solution''

kev

sanking
8-Mar-2008, 10:25
Gary from The book of Pyro Gordon Hutchings says........

''Because pure EDTA is nearly insoluble in water it is essential to use EDTA-disodium or EDTA-tetrasodium salt. This compound will dissolve readily. Add approximately 0.05 gm of EDTA to a liter of working solution. The chemical can either be added to the working solution when it is mixed or can be included in the stock solution''

kev

I would recommend the tetrasodium salt, which is base. Adding too much of the tetrasodium salt would do no harm, but adding too much of the disodium salt could lower the pH of the working solution, which would make it much less energetic.

I note this because a measurement of 0.05 grams requires the use of a more precise measuring instrument than most people have.

Sandy King

kev curry
8-Mar-2008, 11:07
I would recommend the tetrasodium salt, which is base. Adding too much of the tetrasodium salt would do no harm, but adding too much of the disodium salt could lower the pH of the working solution, which would make it much less energetic.

I note this because a measurement of 0.05 grams requires the use of a more precise measuring instrument than most people have.

Sandy King

Just to add after another look through the Book Of Pyro where GH continues saying....

''To add EDTA to the working solution, prepare a 1% solution by dissolving 10 grams of EDTA in 1000 cc of water. Then add 5 cc of the 1% solution to a liter of PMK just before developing the film.
To add EDTA to the PMK stock solution, weigh out 5 gm and add it to 1000 cc of the ''A'' solution.
EDTA can be used in different concentrations ranging from 0.05 gm to 0.15 gm per liter
of working solution. If concentrations higher than 0.05 gm per liter are used, the negative stain is proportionally reduced''

kev

sanking
8-Mar-2008, 11:36
J
EDTA can be used in different concentrations ranging from 0.05 gm to 0.15 gm per liter
of working solution. If concentrations higher than 0.05 gm per liter are used, the negative stain is proportionally reduced''

kev

The reason for the reduction in stain intensity is the greater acidity that would result from adding too much of the disodium salt. There is a lot more tolerance, or room for error, with trisodium EDTA.

Sandy King

Gary L. Quay
8-Mar-2008, 21:28
Thanks!

I suppose it's a good thing that I have the "Book of Pyro" on order from Freestyle. It should arrive pretty soon.

--Gary