PDA

View Full Version : Richard Ritter 20X24

sanking
7-Dec-2007, 21:12
I opened a couple of boxes today and found my new Richard Ritter 20X24 camera, with a 12X20 reducing back.

A nicely engineered and beautifully built camera. Comes in at about 25 lbs with some 48" of bellows draw. Has shift, swing and tilt on the front, and shift, swing and tilt on the rear. Folds to about 28"X28"X7". Very rigid when set up. The back reverses for horizontal or vertical shots as with most 4X5, 5X7 and 8X10 cameras. Same with the 12X20 reducing back.

A few images attached.

Sandy King

David A. Goldfarb
7-Dec-2007, 21:16
Looks beautiful, Sandy. A very elegant and lightweight design.

Shen45
7-Dec-2007, 21:20
That is a very significant piece of kit Sandy.

What is the method used to focus the camera? Do you have any images of that section?

Steve

John Bowen
7-Dec-2007, 21:25
Sandy,

She sure is pretty. I'm sure you will enjoy your 20x24 as much as I enjoy my Ritter 7x17. Richard builds a great camera.

John

sanking
7-Dec-2007, 21:34
That is a very significant piece of kit Sandy.

What is the method used to focus the camera? Do you have any images of that section?

Steve

You can push and pull the front standard on the carbon fiber tubes. Very smooth. For fine adjustments there is a center worm that adjusts from the back. No images of that section now but I believe the design is similar to other RR cameras so perhaps someone has an image to post showing the center worm.The center worm adjustment is similar to what you see on Phillips and Chamonix cameras.

Sandy King

Robert Fisher
7-Dec-2007, 21:49
Congratulations Sandy!

Two questions:

(1) what lenses will you be using?

(2) Is film for the goliath strictly special order?

Thanks!

sanking
7-Dec-2007, 22:02
Congratulations Sandy!

Two questions:

(1) what lenses will you be using?

(2) Is film for the goliath strictly special order?

Thanks!

I have a few lenses that will work, of which the best are the Schneider 550mm (22") XXL, which is a modern multi-coated Dagor type lens, and a 30" Red Dot Artar. Both will cover with a fair amount of movement.

Pan film for 20X24 is a speciality item that one must seek out to buy. Fortunately I have on hand a fair amount of Pan film so I wont' have to start looking tomorrow. In addition I have several boxes of Kodak Ortho film and am hoping to use this for a retro type project. In addition, with special exposure and development procedures, one can use litho type films. Jim Gali has provided in previous threads, either here or on APUG, instructions. Finally, I have a couple of hundred sheets of TMY 12X20 film on hand and was thinking of exposing this in 20X24 holders and printing with the middle seam.

Sandy

Tri Tran
7-Dec-2007, 22:17
Hi Sandy,
Congratulations and Happy Holidays.

Cheers,
TT

sanking
7-Dec-2007, 23:01
Hi Sandy,
Congratulations and Happy Holidays.

Cheers,
TT

Hi Tri,

Any news on your new Chamonix 20X24? That should be one beautiful camera also.

And Happy Holidays to you.

Sandy

Tri Tran
7-Dec-2007, 23:51
Hi Sandy,
Thanks for asking. They're still working on it. It should be done in about a month or so due to the Chamonix 4x5 delivery to the LFPF 's members before Xmas. I now have the horizontal model to play with but can't wait to get the convertible to shoot some portraits.With the 65 inches bellow extention I'm sure I will have a lot of fun.Please stay fit and healthy to enjoy it. Take care.

TT

Jorge Gasteazoro
7-Dec-2007, 23:56
Damn, you are going to need a huge ass scanner for those negatives... :)

All I can say is I hate you.. :D

see, even the smily is green with envy.....

Vaughn
8-Dec-2007, 00:10
Beautiful Sandy, it will be a fun tool!

Vaughn

Kerik Kouklis
8-Dec-2007, 00:15
Sandy,

What was the price tag on that beast?

sanking
8-Dec-2007, 00:33
Sandy,

What was the price tag on that beast?

Hi Kerik,

No beast here! I can pick the Richard Ritter 20X24 up with one arm and put it on a tripod. Super light for the format!!

Price was about $6300 and change for the 20X24 camera and 12X20 reducing bank. For a few hundred dollars more you could hang any size format off the back you want.

Plus, one could use the base and change the back + bellows to any ULF format desired. 7X17, 12X20, 16X20, 14X17, etc.

Is that not great value, or what? To consider, compare features and price with new Canham and Ebony 20X24.

Sandy King

Walter Calahan
8-Dec-2007, 05:21
drool, with cheerful envy
;)

David A. Goldfarb
8-Dec-2007, 05:35
Hmmm...Ritter 20x24/12x20 for $6300, 1DSIII for $8000...

John Bowen
8-Dec-2007, 06:26
Richard has pricing for the more common ULF formats posted on his website. http://www.lg4mat.net/ulf.html The best way to understand Richard's cameras is to purchase the camera manual. It is a DVD and available for $15 (including postage) from Bruce Barlow at http://www.circleofthesunproductions.com The DVD is packed with useful info for any ULF photographer.

RichardRitter
8-Dec-2007, 07:14
My shop is so vacant now. Time to start on a new project or go photographing with my new camera.

Ralph Barker
8-Dec-2007, 07:16
Lovely camera, Sandy, and it appears to be very well designed. Thanks for posting the images.

RichardRitter
8-Dec-2007, 07:22
Hmmm...Ritter 20x24/12x20 for $6300, 1DSIII for $8000...

What is a 1DSII?

Jorge Gasteazoro
8-Dec-2007, 07:27
What is a 1DSII?

Digital SLR....

RichardRitter
8-Dec-2007, 07:39
Oh! That is allot of $$$ for a camera that will be out dated in less then a year.

steve simmons
8-Dec-2007, 07:39
Richard has loaned me a 7 x 17 that I started using last summer. I am writing about my experiences with ULF and sharing the challenge of using a big camera. I will keep my project going for at least another year.

steve simmons

Bruce Barlow
8-Dec-2007, 07:51
Richard! Quit wasting time posting when you're supposed to be building my 4x5/5x7/8x10 camera! Norma is sooooo heavy!!

Sandy - Richard's happy to have room in his shop again. Your post and pictures were a nice birthday present for him, too.

Many happy returns, Richard.

Greg Lockrey
8-Dec-2007, 07:54
Oh! That is allot of $$$ for a camera that will be out dated in less then a year.

Think of it in terms of the film you would have bought instead.:)

timparkin
8-Dec-2007, 08:18
Think of it in terms of the film you would have bought instead.:)

If you were using a 24x20 to 2x2.5 reducing back.... of course you could always do 10x10 panoramas instead..

Jim Fitzgerald
8-Dec-2007, 08:23
Sandy, that is an incredible value! An heirloom that will never go out of date. A light weight 20x24, now that's something. Congrats, Richard and Sandy. Now back to my traditional 11x14 building.

Jim

John Bowen
8-Dec-2007, 13:37
Richard! Quit wasting time posting when you're supposed to be building my 4x5/5x7/8x10 camera!

My thoughts exactly! Remember Richard, I get serial #2.

Per Bruce, Happy Birthday!

sanking
8-Dec-2007, 15:00
Sandy - Richard's happy to have room in his shop again. Your post and pictures were a nice birthday present for him, too.

Many happy returns, Richard.

Yes, indeed, a very happy birthday Richard, and many more.

I just weighed the RR 20X24 and it comes in at a tad under 23 lbs. Considering the ample movements, rigidity and bellows draw of about 48", this weight is incredible to me. One great designing and construction job IMHO.

And the CD owners manual is great also. I have been working with ULF for a long time and figured I knew almost all there was to know, but there were several useful tips on the CD. Plus, the sight of Richard standing on the extended bed of the camera should erase any concerns that the light weight equals fragility.

Sandy King

Renee Galang
8-Dec-2007, 20:40
Under 23 lbs! Wow. I can see my porter easily carrying it with a couple of double darks all straped in a metal frame backpack carrier when we do deep in the jungle expedition in Panay Island Philippines. Maybe I will grab one when I accidentally drop and destroyed my 11x14 cambo in one of those rough, rugged and raw jungle expeditions!

Have fun Sandy.

John Bowen
8-Dec-2007, 22:34
I'd be willing to bet that 2 20x24 film holders probably weigh close to 23lbs...

sanking
8-Dec-2007, 22:43
I'd be willing to bet that 2 20x24 film holders probably weigh close to 23lbs...

I checked the weight on one of the S&S walnut holders that I will be using with the RR 20X24 and it was just a tad less than 7 lbs.

So four of them would come in a bit heavier than the camera, 23 lbs to 27+ lbs.

Sandy

LargeFormatShooter
9-Dec-2007, 04:26
Mr. Sanking: All that best with the beautiful camera. Please makes beautiful some prints and show them on this web site. It will be very inspiration to us all.

Thank you show us pictures of camera.

alec4444
9-Dec-2007, 09:16
Nice camera, Sandy! Would love to see a roll-film adapter for it. Maybe 6x7 or something. :D The 20x24 format really intrigues me, though for my own purposes it's beyond the point of limiting returns. No doubt I'd forget a step and ruin a sheet of film with it.... Ack!

David A. Goldfarb
9-Dec-2007, 10:08
Hey, Alec, it's lighter than your Wisner 11x14".

Andrew O'Neill
9-Dec-2007, 10:44
Where does one find film for this camera?

sanking
9-Dec-2007, 12:04

Freestyle Photographic Supplies lists several continuous tone pan and ortho films in 20X24 size. That includes Bergger BPF and Efke PL 100. They also carry lith type films in this format that some people process as continuos tone.

The Bergger film may be old stock since the plant that produced BPF closed down a year or so ago. Or Bergger may have found a new plant to produce the film?

Sandy King

Andrew O'Neill
9-Dec-2007, 13:13
Thanks Sandy.

Monty McCutchen
9-Dec-2007, 13:17

I have purchased my 20 x 24 film (FP4) through Ilfords annual offering of ULF film. I have tried to support their commitment to the ULF community by buying several boxes each year-- enough to load in the freezer in case this offering comes to an end in the future.

I also on occasion will pour some glass plate ambrotypes, and glass negatives for my wet plate collodion work in this size although my pours have much to learn at these bigger sizes.

If Sandy doesn't feel slighted in this thread I would add pictures of my Ebony 20 x 24 for comparison. It is larger 31 x 31 x 9 when closed and heavier (in the 50/55 lb range although I have never put it on the scale), and as can easily be found at Badger's web site considerably more expensive. When I sold my piece of ground that help pay for my Ebony neither Richard nor Chamonix were in the business of making these monsters. Having come into some found money however I am very pleased with Hiromi's work and I can't say I regret going with the Ebony as it is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship, AS SANDY'S CLEARLY IS AS WELL. Well done Richard.

All the best,

Monty

David A. Goldfarb
9-Dec-2007, 13:51
I visited Eric Taubman's studio a few years ago and saw that he had HP5+ and some species of Portra (400VC if I remember correctly) to feed his Lotus, though now he's doing mostly wetplate, I think, in that format. He is a lab owner, so I assume he ordered the film directly from the manufacturers. I also noticed that he had 20x24" hangers for the Refrema in the lab (http://www.sixtyeightdegrees.com/).

Brian Bullen
9-Dec-2007, 14:03
Sandy, what is the groundglass made of? Some sort of plastic or glass?

Dave Wooten
9-Dec-2007, 14:07
Those are double sided film holders...until both chambers are fully loaded, the total ensemble weight, truth to be told, is as of yet unknown. :)

sanking
9-Dec-2007, 14:07
If Sandy doesn't feel slighted in this thread I would add pictures of my Ebony 20 x 24 for comparison. It is larger 31 x 31 x 9 when closed and heavier (in the 50/55 lb range although I have never put it on the scale), and as can easily be found at Badger's web site considerably more expensive.

All the best,

Monty

Absolutely not. I would love to see the pictures of your Ebony 20X24.

Sandy

sanking
9-Dec-2007, 14:12

The ground glass is acrylic. For a camera this size plastic makes a lot of sense to me and it is what I requested, though I believe from his CD that Richard routinely delivers his cameras with plastic.

Sandy

Kirk Gittings
9-Dec-2007, 14:19
Never having used anything over 8x10, isn't there issues with film flatness on film of this size, like on a hot day?

sanking
9-Dec-2007, 14:51
Never having used anything over 8x10, isn't there issues with film flatness on film of this size, like on a hot day?

Film flatness can definitely be a problem with ULF cameras. However, for the most part the problem can be minimized by tilting the camera just a bit backward so that if the film sags it will do so in the direction of the septum of the holder.

If the film is not absolutely flat in the holder this is compensated to some degree by the very large depth of focus of ULF cameras which are typically used at apertures of f/45 and greater to obtain good depth of field.

Sandy King

alec4444
9-Dec-2007, 20:24
Hey, Alec, it's lighter than your Wisner 11x14".

Yes, I observed that...thanks for rubbing it in, David. :)

Oh, unless you throw in film holders.... Then I have the advantage.

jetcode
9-Dec-2007, 23:25
Hi Kerik,

No beast here! I can pick the Richard Ritter 20X24 up with one arm and put it on a tripod. Super light for the format!!

Price was about $6300 and change for the 20X24 camera and 12X20 reducing bank. For a few hundred dollars more you could hang any size format off the back you want.

Plus, one could use the base and change the back + bellows to any ULF format desired. 7X17, 12X20, 16X20, 14X17, etc.

Is that not great value, or what? To consider, compare features and price with new Canham and Ebony 20X24.

Sandy King

bring a table cloth and picnic basket and you can use the camera as a small table when your done shooting! - have fun with your new camera, camera toys are great fun

John Bowen
10-Dec-2007, 04:51
bring a table cloth and picnic basket and you can use the camera as a small table when your done shooting! - have fun with your new camera, camera toys are great fun

Oh, so that's why they call it a BANQUET camera :D

RichardRitter
10-Dec-2007, 07:03
Cast optical grade acrylic the same type of product eye glasses are made of. I have been using a sheet in my 7 x 17 for over a year if I had glass in the camera I would be into the third sheet glass by now. About 80% of the cameras over the size of 8 x 10 that have come into the shop to have repair work done had some sort of plastic for the ground glass.
Think of it as cheap insurance I had a camera come in once and the glass broke in shipping and went through the bellows. Bellows had to be replaced.

Tracy Storer
10-Dec-2007, 07:28
Richard, thank you. I've been preaching acrylic for big cameras for years, maybe they'll listen to you!
Tracy

Cast optical grade acrylic the same type of product eye glasses are made of. I have been using a sheet in my 7 x 17 for over a year if I had glass in the camera I would be into the third sheet glass by now. About 80% of the cameras over the size of 8 x 10 that have come into the shop to have repair work done had some sort of plastic for the ground glass.
Think of it as cheap insurance I had a camera come in once and the glass broke in shipping and went through the bellows. Bellows had to be replaced.

Brian Bullen
10-Dec-2007, 13:15
Hi Richard, you make a beautiful camera and someday I hope to buy one just like Sandy's.
How does viewing on the acrylic compare to regular glass? Do you grind it yourself or do you order from a supplier?
I have an 11x14 Korona that has original glass and I'd like to replace it and the acrylic sounds like a great option.
This is totally unrelated babble. I used to live in Vermont, a beautiful little town called Plainfield, and do I miss it. Vermont always feels like home to me. Anyway, babble over.

Rakesh Malik
10-Dec-2007, 14:02
Digital SLR....

Isn't the proper technical term "digitoy"? :D

RichardRitter
10-Dec-2007, 14:28
How does viewing on the acrylic compare to regular glass?

It is the same as really good ground glass.
Ground glass in the larger sizes take a very along time to get from the suppliers and make a big mess when they break.
What's the difference between plastic lens glasses and glass lens glasses?

David A. Goldfarb
10-Dec-2007, 14:33
Plastic lens glasses scratch more easily than glass lens glasses. I always get glass lenses.

Dave Wooten
10-Dec-2007, 15:07
I just got some inexpensive P95 acrylic to check out, it is frosted on one side...just standing in the front room of the house and holding a lens in front of it the image is quite nice.

This is available in 4 x 8 sheets, 1/4 and 1/8 inch thickness, one sheet is enough for more than 50 8 x 10 ground glasses, 200 4 x 5!
Should work fine for most applications, replacement and and homebuild projects.

Ted Harris
10-Dec-2007, 17:49
BTW, stay tuned on the Foto3 website. We are going to have a panel discussion on Why ULF with Kerik Kouklis, Monte McCutchen and Richard Ritter discussing the art and technology of ULF. Additionally, we will have a half day or one day ULF demonstration/workshop. Richard will have his 7x17 and a "surprise camera" there, Monte will have his Ebony 20x24 and a fe of his small cameras :), and others. There will be an opportunity for those who are interested to expose some film.

Brian Bullen
10-Dec-2007, 18:26
Dave, did you get that from a specialty shop? My Korona ground glass is horrible, it's the only camera I always have to use a loupe on.

Dave Parker
10-Dec-2007, 18:28
Being honest with you as one of the largest "ground glass" manufactures in the country, I would be extremely interested in testing a piece of the acrylic, I can't see anything wrong with it, if it displays the same type of focus as well as resolution, and to boot is lighter! Geeze how could you go wrong? Richard, if you have a sample, I would really be interested!

Dave Parker
Satin Snow Ground Glass

Sal Santamaura
10-Dec-2007, 18:37
...if it displays the same type of focus as well as resolution...How about rigidity (i.e. ability to stay flat, even under pressure from a loupe) and dimensional stability over wide temperature ranges? These would probably be of more and more concern as screen size increases.

Tracy Storer
10-Dec-2007, 18:38
Per Dave W's comment on the P-95....I have used it in 20x24s for a few years, and am looking into other frosting options...the P-95 "grit" is coarse, and may not be great for smaller formats. (the coarse texture makes focusing on fine details on my 5x7 hard)
I'm curious to hear what Richard is doing "grit"-wise?

Dave Parker
10-Dec-2007, 18:51
How about rigidity (i.e. ability to stay flat, even under pressure from a loupe) and dimensional stability over wide temperature ranges? These would probably be of more and more concern as screen size increases.

Sal,

Yes, that could be a problem, but you have to realize, they are using optical grade plastics in the space shuttle, I don't know how you could add any more stress or temp fluctuations, as I said, I would be really interested in testing it, I can't say if it would be better or worse, but man it is worth investigating, as Richard said, it takes a bit of time to grind a 20x24 screen, and I know, I have done a few of them for Richard, then add in the difficulty in shipping, and man, it can be a nightmare..but I am interested..

Dave

Ron McElroy
10-Dec-2007, 19:12
That's a beautiful camera Sandy [and Richard].

Now I have a dumb question. I've shot 4x5 for a long time and just recently acquired a 8x10 camera. Its been a stretch for me to learn how used the front movements on the 8x10 so how does one deal with this one a ULF camera? Two people when shooting, focus, walk around and adjust, focus again?

John Bowen
10-Dec-2007, 19:33
Ron,

I use the same lens kit on my 7x17 as my 8x10, so the length of focus doesn't vary. My lenses range from 305mm - 600mm for 7x17. Even the 600mm is only 24" of extension focused at infinity. I've never had a problem focusing and using the fromt tilts to adjust focus...but, I have 38" sleeves :-)

One of the great advantages of Richard's cameras is the ability to swing, tilt and shift with the back. By using the back for the movements the lenses don't need image circles as large as if the front is used for the same movements. I normally use the back for fine focus adjustments, however when the back has to be absolutely vertical, reaching the front has never been a problem.

PS my favorite lens for both the 8x10 and 7x17 is the Nikkor 450.

alec4444
10-Dec-2007, 19:47
That's a beautiful camera Sandy [and Richard].

Now I have a dumb question. I've shot 4x5 for a long time and just recently acquired a 8x10 camera. Its been a stretch for me to learn how used the front movements on the 8x10 so how does one deal with this one a ULF camera? Two people when shooting, focus, walk around and adjust, focus again?

I've had problems with this - my face is practically mushed against the ground glass at ~620mm. More and I couldn't do it. I was toying with the idea of loosening the front element that needed adjustment and using strings to move it from the back. Short of that, a second person (with a lot of patience) would be me next try. I'm about to run into that problem too, as I'm looking for 30" or more these days.

--A

David A. Goldfarb
10-Dec-2007, 19:51
If your camera has rear movements, you could determine the tilt angle on the rear standard, Sinar-style, zero the back, and then apply the opposite movement to the front standard. You can measure the angles with a Suunto Tandem clinometer-compass, or something similar (but that's the one I happen to use).

tim atherton
10-Dec-2007, 20:35
Beautiful Sandy, it will be a fun tool!

Vaughn

Hmm - really? I thought I was kinda ugly looking...

I'm sure it's comparatively light though

Oren Grad
10-Dec-2007, 20:43

Tim, it's a machine for photographing. Form follows its clever function, making it modernist-lovely.

Dave Wooten
11-Dec-2007, 01:10
Dave, did you get that from a specialty shop? My Korona ground glass is horrible, it's the only camera I always have to use a loupe on.

I got the plastic from Piper Plastics in Las Vegas (pplastic@msn.com).
They gave me a small piece to take home and put a lens to it...first impresson is it will work just fine and considering the price, one could have an inexpensive back up glass...
price for a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet of 1/8 P95 was quoted as 65.00 (museum grade is about twice the price, I did nt see any need for museum grade). The piece I brought home is actually 1/4 inch, of course a bit thick but still very very light and you could bounce a base ball off it...

Piper Plastics phone 702-269-8076 fax 702 617 3652

Any local plastics fabricator will have this in stock, Many remnants are large enough to use for most cameras. I will experiment a bit with various grinds etc and note the possibilities...in any case, it will work well just off the shelf, is easy to cut, hard to crack, easy to scratch, but at the price is is almost a disposable.:)

Sal Santamaura
11-Dec-2007, 09:08
...Yes, that could be a problem, but you have to realize, they are using optical grade plastics in the space shuttle, I don't know how you could add any more stress or temp fluctuations, as I said, I would be really interested in testing it, I can't say if it would be better or worse, but man it is worth investigating...I asked about those issues because Bill Maxwell uses cast acrylic for his product and won't go above 5x7 with a combination fresnel/focus screen. He says there's too much flex when larger sizes are unsupported by glass.

I just installed one of Bill's fresnels over my flat and stable 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 Satin Snow ground glass. This combination is the best of all possible worlds. Since I'm sufficiently nearsighted that just peering over my spectacles is equivalent to around 2.5X magnification, there's no reason for placing a cover glass over the fresnel to avoid scratching the fresnel's smooth, exposed side with a loupe. Bill does suggest that the acrylic is delicate enough to require that protection if one will be bringing loupes in contact with it and dragging them around.

It would be interesting to know whether the screens described in this thread are made from a similar type of acrylic.

Dave Parker
11-Dec-2007, 09:44
Sal,

I went out an acquired a piece of 1/8 acrylic last evening and in playing with it, have to say, I must have got the wrong thing, although very strong, it does flex pretty easy...so I am going to have to look at some other types

Dave

Brian Bullen
11-Dec-2007, 12:54
Dave W, thanks for the info. 4x8 for $65 is a great price! Even though 1/4" is a little thick maybe it's worth it for the extra rigidity.
I'm looking forward to your test report. :) Are you going to try it in the 14x17 also?

Dave Parker
11-Dec-2007, 12:59
Just in case anyone is interested, I stumbled across this website that sells P-95 in various sizes as well as thicknesses.

http://acetal-rod-sheet.com/acrylic-sheet.htm

Dave

Vaughn
11-Dec-2007, 14:24
...snip

Actually I was referring to the camera, Tim...to Sandy's future experiences of using it, and to the concept of form following function.:D

There are few ugly cameras and many ugly images...

Vaughn

sanking
11-Dec-2007, 14:26

I'm sure it's comparatively light though

Tim,

You see yourself every day so if you think you are kinda ugly looking who am I to question you?

Sandy

tim atherton
11-Dec-2007, 14:41
:-) touché

sanking
11-Dec-2007, 14:49
I took the 20X24 out in the field today and made six negatives. I was working with some ortho lith film just to get some practice with setting up and adjusting the camera. Things went pretty smoothly, though there was a bit of a wind which made exposures a bit challenging, especially since they were in the seconds.

Tomorrow I am going to actually back pack the camera and two holders for a couple of miles to photograph a scene that I have not visited in over two decades. I am going to take some real pan film along for the ride. A friend is coming along to help with the tripod and lenses.

Sandy King

RichardRitter
11-Dec-2007, 17:26

Tim I call it the ugly duckling all the time. But it does the job. One thing you learn about carrying equipment, 22 pounds is a whole lot easier then 50 pounds. I would rather carry a few extra holders then camera.

Dave Wooten
11-Dec-2007, 17:57
Dave W, thanks for the info. 4x8 for $65 is a great price! Even though 1/4" is a little thick maybe it's worth it for the extra rigidity.
I'm looking forward to your test report. :) Are you going to try it in the 14x17 also?

1. 65 is the price for 1/8 inch 1/4 is double....the sample given me is 1/4..even at that, it is not what I would call heavy....

2. Yes over the holidays I am going to have some sizes cut up and will try one on the 14 x 17. I just obtained a full plate that needs a glass so will make that one as well.
I will also do some grinding and see what the results are, I have made glass for 5 x 7 and have a 20 x 24 glass completed (in glass not acrylic) and no I am not going into the grnd glass business, will leave that to those so inclined and motivated.:)

Tracy Storer
11-Dec-2007, 21:49
FYI ... P-95 and a fresnel is all I ever used in my Wisner 14x17.
Without the fresnel there is a significant hot-spot problem.
TS

Brian Bullen
11-Dec-2007, 23:34
Dave, can't wait to hear about your experiences. 20x24 groundglass huh? How long have you had that camera?:)
Tracy, thanks for the info about the hot spot. A fresnel in that size is probably a little pricey.

Dave Wooten
11-Dec-2007, 23:48
Dave, can't wait to hear about your experiences. 20x24 groundglass huh? How long have you had that camera?:)
Tracy, thanks for the info about the hot spot. A fresnel in that size is probably a little pricey.

Ha, I dont have that camera! I made the ground glass last year, it looks lovely, I have a front standard cobbled from parts of other cameras and a partial rail system etc..but no camera...I have a lot of work to do with tha 14 x 17 and several negs to develope. So the 24 is a bit down the road for me for a while, but the ground glass is really cool (and I have a bellows!)

Brian Bullen
12-Dec-2007, 00:05
Ha, I dont have that camera! I made the ground glass last year, it looks lovely, I have a front standard cobbled from parts of other cameras and a partial rail system etc..but no camera...I have a lot of work to do with tha 14 x 17 and several negs to develope. So the 24 is a bit down the road for me for a while, but the ground glass is really cool (and I have a bellows!)

Well its good to hear one is on the way. Sounds like you're almost there. I too have slowly started compiling pieces to put one of these beasts together. Unfortunately I have a long, long way to go. I would rather have Richard make one but that just isn't in the budget. For now I have to anxiously await Sandy's photo's from the camera to get my "fix".

Tracy Storer
12-Dec-2007, 07:49
Not to get too off topic here, but I have a new source for big fresnels. (used to buy them from Edmunds, but their offerings are limited these days)
As far as I'm concerned, the prices are not too bad, the 20x24 fresnel was around $300.US, 7x17 around $150.

[QUOTE=photobulley;Tracy, thanks for the info about the hot spot. A fresnel in that size is probably a little pricey.[/QUOTE]

steve simmons
12-Dec-2007, 07:52
Would you like to share your source??????

steve simmons

Tracy Storer
12-Dec-2007, 09:07
Would you like to share your source??????

steve simmons

Hi Steve,
I'll see whether they're open to orders from the general public, if not, I'll be happy to compile and place orders for people.
TS

David A. Goldfarb
12-Dec-2007, 09:48
I'd be interested, too, Tracy.

Tracy Storer
12-Dec-2007, 10:25
I spoke with my contact and they would rather have me organize the orders.
I'll put together a list of sizes and get a price list together and post it on my website.
If anyone is in a hurry for a fresnel, send me an email and I'll get a price.
Orders take a few weeks, but the lenses I've gotten so far are of good quality and laser cut to any size we need.(based on available stock lenses of course)

Monty McCutchen
16-Dec-2007, 17:44
After enjoying Sandy's offerings of Richard's great work and with Sandy's okay to my adding to the thread I thought I would throw some pics of Hiromi's work in the mix. Here is my Ebony 20 x 24 with accompanied reference points, my Daughter Counti standing on the ground and my son Satchel standing on the table-- and their aritfacts; Specs of the camera for those interesed can be found at Badger Graphic.

Hope you enjoy seeing the different approaches to the building process. The camera focus's traditionally until the bellows gets racked out and then an attachment can be applied that allows the camera to be focused from the back standard. Obviously the Ebony is heavier in all aspects, including the weight on the pocketbook. Nonetheless I have enjoyed the camera immensely.

Monty

Daniel Grenier
17-Dec-2007, 10:18
Good Lord. I don't know how you guys do it! I mean, I have a measly 8x10 and a 7x17 and those take all my might to log around I'll tell you. I just can't imagine logging one of these monsters around.

Struan Gray
17-Dec-2007, 13:59
It's not a camera, it's a Wendy house with a lens.

Nice climbing frame too :-)

sanking
17-Dec-2007, 14:46
Good Lord. I don't know how you guys do it! I mean, I have a measly 8x10 and a 7x17 and those take all my might to log around I'll tell you. I just can't imagine logging one of these monsters around.

Dick Arentz wrote somewhere that one of the primary requisites for working with ULF cameras is an excess of brawn over brain. And he was talking about 7X17 and 12X20 cameras!

The only way to prepare oneself for using a 20X24 may be more workouts at the gym and giving up all forms of recreation that stimulate the brain.

Sandy King

tim810
17-Dec-2007, 15:53
Both the 2024s pictured here (Ritter and Ebony) are beautiful. At the moment I can only dream of using one of these. And I do so every single night!!! Over the Christmas break I will be putting time and $ into my 12x20 project, hopfully it will be finished by Feb. But I still Dream of 20x24!!! I drive by scenes and think " that would look wonderfull as a 20x24 contact print" or "10x24 contact print". I would really like to see some contact prints of this size. Is there anywhere in the CT area that has anything on display?

Cheers and happy shooting.

Bruce Barlow
19-Dec-2007, 13:49
Hey, Richard! Howz my 8x10 coming?? I could come pick it up Monday, maybe! Just in time for Santa!

John Bowen
19-Dec-2007, 16:32
Hey, Richard! Howz my 8x10 coming?? I could come pick it up Monday, maybe! Just in time for Santa!

Yeah Richard!

Where's mine???

I can't pick it up, but the end of January would be just perfect...