PDA

View Full Version : Are you kidding me? Really, a little steep for my tastes...

Hollis
6-Dec-2007, 22:32
http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-of-5-AWB-8x10-Cherry-Film-Holders-Great-Find_W0QQitemZ330162871647QQihZ014QQcategoryZ29979QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Dave Parker
6-Dec-2007, 22:42
Really don't surprise me at all!

You got to pay to play now a days!

Dave

tim atherton
6-Dec-2007, 22:42
I think they are about $300.00 each (?) new

Walter Calahan
7-Dec-2007, 05:25
Aren't they beautiful.

I'd be intimidated trying to make images as beautiful as these holders. Grin.

Guess that's why I drive a Toyota Corolla, and others drive a Lexus.

Michael Graves
7-Dec-2007, 05:36
Do they make pictures closer to those of Walker Evans or Elliot Porter than my Fidelities and Liscos? If so, back off baby, here I come. Everybody knows prettier hardware makes you a better photographer.

(Here come the slams about film flatness and other issues I too naive to notice.)

Brian K
7-Dec-2007, 06:01
Images made with wooden holders tend to have a warmer feeling than images made with plastic holders. :)

They are gorgeous, I wonder if Sinar can make me a wooden Zoom roll film holder?

David A. Goldfarb
7-Dec-2007, 06:10
Images made with wooden holders tend to have a warmer feeling than images made with plastic holders. :)

They are gorgeous, I wonder if Sinar can make me a wooden Zoom roll film holder?

Maybe this guy can set you up, Brian--

http://mottweilerstudio.com/index.html

There was also an Italian maker of rollfilm cameras with fancy hardwoods, inlays, and such. I don't know if he's still around.

Hollis
7-Dec-2007, 09:44
Don't get me wrong, beautiful craftsmanship is beautiful craftsmanship but I would much rather spend my limited funds on lenses, film and bail money.

Jim Rice
7-Dec-2007, 09:45
David, a pretty dorky camera is still a dorky camera. I'm not sure what a pretty dorky camera going for a grand is.....

Nick_3536
7-Dec-2007, 10:15
It's not like some body is rolling out new Fidelty holders right now at bargain prices. How much is Fotoman charging for their 8x10 holders?

Of course this summer I bought some new Fidelities from B&H but how long can their stock last?

Bill_1856
7-Dec-2007, 10:31
What's the problem? Have you priced Gandolfi or Ebony cameras lately? There are (apparently) lots of photographers out there who can afford whatever they want. Hell, they're beautiful -- I'd like to have them, and I don't even shoot 8x10.

Richard Wall
7-Dec-2007, 13:22
Has anyone checked, maybe you get a free camera with purchase:-)

All kidding aside they do look well made and beautiful.

r.

Ben Chase
7-Dec-2007, 21:51
Don't get me wrong, beautiful craftsmanship is beautiful craftsmanship but I would much rather spend my limited funds on lenses, film and bail money.

Bail money? Good Lord, where the hell are you taking pictures? :)

Colin Graham
8-Dec-2007, 10:18
After making some holders last year, it's easy to appreciate why they cost so much. I'd hate to try to make a living doing it.

Nate Battles
8-Dec-2007, 16:15
okay how about this one....

for a homemade camera, well I guess if the camera sucks, you can have yourself a $2000 belt!! Small waist though...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320188739458&fromMakeTrack=true

wow!?:eek:

stevebeyer
8-Dec-2007, 18:08
To be honest it seems to be a good deal. They would probably move faster if they sold them individually. These are the cadillac of lens boards and they are gorgeous to boot.