PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Plunge - Thanks to All Who Helped

Greg Liscio
6-Dec-2007, 13:34
Well folks, I FINALLY made up my mind. I've decided to start the large format part of my photo hobby with the Canham DLC 45, and go directly to 4X5 format, bypassing the 120 film back. Although I still lust for the Linhof, I believe for the price the Canham is the better deal.

I have been very impressed with Canham's reputation, as well as Keith Canham himself, a real gent who always takes time to answer my questions, now matter how fundamental. I feel very comfortable that he stands behind his products, and is in this country.

For a first lens, I'm undecided - 90 - 110 - 150. I'll be shooting mostly outdoors, but want to do some indoor macro work this winter as well.

For tripods, I'm thinking of the Ries J100, with their 2-Axis head, but have some questions there regarding ease of turning the camera in the horizontal plane - do I just turn the entire tripod? That could be a pain for a minor adjustment.

I want to take this opportunity to thank the many people who provided, and continue to provide valuable input. This is the most professional and helpful group I've ever subscribed to, and I'm pleased to be a member of the Large Format Community.

Greg

Gordon Moat
6-Dec-2007, 13:54
Lenses are always a tough choice, because there are so many to chose. In general, a longer focal length (assuming f5.6 for all) would be slightly easier and brighter overall on the ground glass, which can make life easier for you. I would suggest starting with one lens, get use to using it often, and then your next lens will likely become more apparent.

An example is that on my return to large format, I started with a 135mm. This had more to do with seeing some shots done by a few people using such a lens. After many shots with that, I ended up with a 210mm, and borrowed a 75mm a few times. What I found was that the 210mm is a bit too far from the way I want to compose images, so I ended up with a 180mm. I did like the 75mm, but I just don't do enough shots like this to justify buying one ... at least not yet.

I find there are advantages to having somewhat limited lens choices. Some people find they want a large variety, and go through many lenses while at a location. I think if you started off that way, it might be tougher to decide which lenses you really want to use, though eventually you will figure out which you use the most.

Tripods are far more personal choices. I like heavy aluminum, and three way pan tilt heads. My main tripod looks beat, but keeps functioning great. I never worry about it in checked luggage, at the beach, nor in the desert. I think if I had a really nice tripod, I would probably be more careful about where I placed it, or how I carried it.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Richard Wasserman
6-Dec-2007, 13:58
Greg,

Good choice! I use a Canham DLC and really like it a lot. I agree with you about Keith Canham, he is very helpful and of course makes great products.

I would suggest a 150mm or so lens as your first one, I personally like 135mm as a general purpose lens. I think anything from 135-180 would serve you well. The wides are nice, but more limited in what they can do, unless they fit your vision better.

I can't help with the Ries tripod as I have no experience with them. I use a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod with a Bogen 410 head with my DLC, and am very happy.

Richard Wasserman

Ted Harris
6-Dec-2007, 14:01
Congratulations Greg.

First, if you are talking about 'panning' the camera that is simple with the Ries head. There is a screw underneath the bas plate that you loosens a bit and then turn the camera. You will find the head a joy to use. I have to say that the Ries is total overkill for a DLC. Having said taht it is a beautiful work of art as well as being a functional tool that will last your life and that of your children and grandchildren. I had though that weight was of some concern to you though and the Ries is not a lightweight.

As far as a lens goes, ,many consider the 150mm to be a wide-normal for 4x5 and of the three you mention that would be the one I would recommend as a starter. It is also a good choice for you to experiment with LF macro work, the others are too wide for that. Now, my personal choice would be the 110 SSXL it is just such a superb lens but it is also totally pricy these days.

Bruce Watson
6-Dec-2007, 14:35
For a first lens, I'm undecided - 90 - 110 - 150. I'll be shooting mostly outdoors, but want to do some indoor macro work this winter as well.

For a first lens, I have to recommend a 150mm, something like the Sironar-S 150mm. These lenses are a sweat spot on a number of fronts - they are not terribly hard to design/make and they are commonly used which means good manufacturing volume, which means they aren't very pricey. Comparatively that is. They are also easy to use -- nice and bright, easy to focus. Easy to use with movements.

As a 35mm user years ago I wouldn't have been caught dead with a "normal" lens. As a LF user I find my 150mm lens one of my most used lenses. And the Sironar-S makes an excellent quasi-macro lens (up to 1:1 anyway), and the required 300mm bellows draw for 1:1 work is easily within the DLCs range.

So, what's not to like?

For tripods, I'm thinking of the Ries J100, with their 2-Axis head, but have some questions there regarding ease of turning the camera in the horizontal plane - do I just turn the entire tripod? That could be a pain for a minor adjustment.

Depends on what you'll be doing. My thinking is that the J100 is a huge amount of tripod for a DCL. Lot's of overkill there.

If you are taking the DLC hiking up the mountains with you you'll want something considerably lighter. Feisol is picking up a reputation with LFers, and Gitzo of course. But the Ries will certainly hold up the camera and keep 'er steady.

Enjoy the learning curve. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, and don't be afraid to setup on a scene and then decide not to expose any film. Most importantly, don't be afraid to try to make that photograph that you don't really know how to make yet. Try it and see -- you might surprise yourself. Oh, yes, don't be afraid to come here and ask questions! ;)

Brian Ellis
6-Dec-2007, 18:03
I'd suggest a carbon fiber tripod, one that's light enough to carry around with a minimum of discomfort. Gitzo of course makes excellent but pricey CF tripods. I own a 1325 with a Bogen 410 geared head and it's a nice set up but on the heavy side. I recently bought a Feisol CF tripod that I like a lot. It's very light and costs a lot less than the Gitzo. The Ries you mention is, IMHO, heavier than you need and may get real old real quick if you do much walking around.

Richard Wasserman
6-Dec-2007, 18:57
I own a 1325 with a Bogen 410 geared head and it's a nice set up but on the heavy side.

I use a 1227 tripod with the 410 head for my DLC and agree that the head is a bit heavy, but every time I turn the knobs on the head to level the camera I no longer care. This is the nicest head for 4x5 I've used outside of the Sinar head with my Norma. I tried ball heads, but we never got along very well, and 3-way pan/tilt heads I found cumbersome. If I was hiking with this camera I might look for a lighter head, but I usually don't go more than a mile or so at a time.

I hang my backpack from the center column for extra stability and have never had a problem with this setup being top heavy.

Colin Corneau
6-Dec-2007, 20:02
Greg, as far as lens choice goes - people are right to say it's a personal preference. A 135mm may work dandy for one, but a 210 or 180 may be what's right for another...the only real way to know is to simply see for yourself.

I can't find this thread, for the life of me, but a few LF photogs have mentioned a simple device to frame a scene. It's essentially a rectangle of cardboard, with a hole cut in it (4x5 dimensions) and a string attached.

You simply hold out the hole to frame a scene the way you like best; the distance you hold it from your eye is marked with the string, which has knots along its length.
When you see the scene framed the way you like best, you check the knot that corresponds to the distance the board is held from your eye - this knot tells you the focal length that would record the image to your liking.
When you start getting the same knot again and again, you have your answer. 8^)