PDA

View Full Version : Roman Loranc/Viewing Filter

kev curry
6-Dec-2007, 10:51
I just recently came across the inspiring and I must say very moving video of Roman Loranc. Does any one know exactly what viewing filter he is seen using in the video it looks neat. And what about the dark cloth it looks like its extremely light, much lighter than my Phago. Can anyone identify it?

Thanks folks
kev

http://www.kqed.org/arts/people/spark/profile.jsp?id=7081

Eric Biggerstaff
6-Dec-2007, 11:00
Kev,

I spent a little time with Roman and recall he used an old Zone VI viewing filter. Very nice man by the way. These filters come up on eBay some times and fetch a pretty nice penny.

jetcode
6-Dec-2007, 11:06
OT: Roman has an image of the gate of a ranch, a popular image. A gallery owner recently told me she found one for a buyer who paid $27k for it.

kev curry
6-Dec-2007, 11:08
Thanks Eric. Yes spending some time with the man must have been a delight.
kev

Eric Biggerstaff
6-Dec-2007, 11:09
jetcode,

I think that is/was his best selling image and he may not be printing it any longer ( I seem to remember that). I like a lot of Roman's work, but that one for some reason doesn't do to much for me.

Mark Woods
6-Dec-2007, 11:24
Kev, thanks for the link. It's really a great program.

Daniel Grenier
6-Dec-2007, 11:39
Not a direct answer to your question, Kev, but I had the pleasure of meeting Roman in Carmel last year at Photography West Gallery. I walked in to pay them a visit and Roman just happened to be there. We had a nice long chat and I bought one of his wonderful prints. He is a really nice guy and a terrific photographer/printer. I just love his work.

kev curry
6-Dec-2007, 12:20
Yes a pleasure indeed I'm sure. Ive only just very recently been introduced to Romans work and can say it has moved me like nothing else I have ever seen. If I ever have the chance to visit Modesto California the first stop would be the little gallery that sells some of his work. I can only imagine as to there beauty. I've yet to see for myself a finely crafted print from a master of the medium. Ahh... but then I shall have the chance quite soon.
Ansels work will be showing in Edinburgh this coming Feb/April...fabulous!
http://www.anseladams.org.uk/TheTheme.html

Best
kev

Eric Biggerstaff
6-Dec-2007, 12:31
Kev,

That should be a very nice show, enjoy!

Mark Sampson
6-Dec-2007, 12:38
The "Zone VI" viewing filter is a Kodak Wratten #90 gel, still sold by Tiffen. You could then make your own frame for it. IDK if anyone offers a complete one anymore.

jetcode
6-Dec-2007, 12:47
jetcode,

I think that is/was his best selling image and he may not be printing it any longer ( I seem to remember that). I like a lot of Roman's work, but that one for some reason doesn't do to much for me.

apparently it's not his favorite image either - I like it though and I can see the appeal mostly because of subject, contrast, and detail, it is a sharp well executed photograph

Eric Biggerstaff
6-Dec-2007, 12:48
jetcode,

I agree with you there.

D. Bryant
6-Dec-2007, 12:55
Calumet used to sell these and may still though I can't find them listed on thier web site.

Don Bryant

kev curry
6-Dec-2007, 13:11
Yes thanks Eric I've looked forward to it for some time. Maybe I should post the link in the announcements section.
Nice idea Mark thats just what I'll do if Im unable to find anything at Calumet as Don mentioned.

Best
kev

gregstidham
6-Dec-2007, 13:48
Harrison & Harrison makes a panchromatic viewing filter if you have trouble finding the Zone VI.

My friend Tim Rice over at Filterfind sells Harrison & Harrison and other quality filters.
http://www.filterfind.net/

kev curry
6-Dec-2007, 15:11
Thanks Greg.

Mark Woods
6-Dec-2007, 23:28
Tiffen makes a number of different viewing filters. I have some given to me by Kodak as a gift for different events I've attended. There are a number of different types and different densities that are used for different purposes (like looking into the lens of an arc light and seeing if the two carbons are lined up correctly -- not much use for that today). There are some used for color and others for B&W. I learned on a 2.0 density that is for B&W, but my eye got used to it and I still used it for color. Interestingly enough, I don't take it with me for B&W excursions, and actually don't use it much any more. It's still an old friened though.

kev curry
7-Dec-2007, 07:07
Thanks Mark.