PDA

View Full Version : Caltar II-N 75mm f4.5 on a crown graphic?

IanMazursky
5-Dec-2007, 21:10
Hi,

I have a Crown Graphic 4x5 and I am thinking about purchasing a
Caltar II-N 75mm f4.5 to round out my wide angles.

Would anyone know if i can i use it on my Crown without a recessed lens board?
If anyone could share there feelings and comments about the lens it would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

David Karp
5-Dec-2007, 21:21
You can see a photo of a 75mm f/4.5 Grandagon-N (same lens) on a Crown here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/pacemaker

The Crown has focusing tracks into the body, so it does work. I don't use my Crown this way, I just set it up like that to see if my widest lens would work. I don't see any reason why you would not want to use it other than the fact that you cannot make any movements with it. Of course, there are not too many movements to make with a Crown, so that does not matter so long as you don't want to do in-camera perspective correction.

Frank Petronio
5-Dec-2007, 22:31
I had a 75/6.8 on a Crown with a flat board and it worked fine. The 75/4.5 is larger and heavier but should work OK without many movements.

Greg Lockrey
5-Dec-2007, 23:48
You could probably use a 65mm with it. I am basing this on the fact that I use a 6x17 back that is an additional 30mm extension from the normal back and using a 90mm SA it just barely focuses to infinity but forget about any movements there.

Gene McCluney
6-Dec-2007, 00:31
I use a 65mm f8 Super-Angulon on my Crown Graphic with the bed dropped. I do not need, or use a recessed lensboard, but the front standard stays inside the camera.

Ron Marshall
6-Dec-2007, 07:12
Would any front rise be possible with a 75 on the Crown?

Gene McCluney
6-Dec-2007, 07:35
Would any front rise be possible with a 75 on the Crown?

Any lens that requires you to leave the front standard inside the shell of the camera for infinity focus would preclude you being able to do front rise. I have a 75mm Komura that is a retrofocus design and will focus infinity with the standard pulled out from the body, so with this lens I can do some front rise. So, the answer to your question is: It depends on the design of the 75mm wide-angle lens you are going to use.