PDA

View Full Version : I feel like Rip Van Winkle

Mike Duecy
5-Dec-2007, 16:14
I feel like Rip Van Winkle,

Most of my life I have been interested in Photography, have had a camera as far back as I can remember, did a lot of commercial images as well, bit recently I returned to Arizona after a ten year stay in Asia teaching and taking a lot of stills and video.

As Christmas is approaching I wanted to print some of my images for some of my friends, so off to the photo lab I had used in the past, what a surprise, well I really did not think they had me still listed with an account, but when I laid down some 5x7 transparencies and asked to have some 16 x 20 prints made from them they asked just what they where?

I then got some story about scanning the image and making some digital print of that?

Like am I still on planet earth?

Mike Duecy
12-5-07 I think

Marko
5-Dec-2007, 16:19
I then got some story about scanning the image and making some digital print of that?

You most definitely are, although it's been a different century for the past 7 years...

But welcome to the LF board anyway. :)

Mike Duecy
5-Dec-2007, 18:45
Yes at least 7 years,

Now about large format Photography, I am thinking that some still develop their own negatives and at least make contact prints or is this lost art?

I must search the web for chemicals and paper I am thinking.
All kidding aside are all the labs out of business?

NOTE: I do use digital and provide a lot of images to engineers, but that is not LF Photography.

Ron Marshall
5-Dec-2007, 18:55
Most using LF cameras still shoot film, but some scan, dodge and burn in Photoshop and then print digitally. Lots of labs still around for developing color. For supplies: Freestyle Photo, Photographers Formulary, Badger Graphics, Calumet, B+H Photo Video.

Mike Duecy
5-Dec-2007, 21:29
Yes I see that Process RA-4 and Endura paper is available for up to 30" by what ever [100 feet].

Some how I just missed something with this change to digital?
I have been using digital since the 80's and I still find it lacking in most ways. Oh well.

http://seaies.com/images2008/RedMtSheepGate-2s.JPG

John Kasaian
5-Dec-2007, 22:56
I feel like Rip Van Winkle,

Most of my life I have been interested in Photography, have had a camera as far back as I can remember, did a lot of commercial images as well, bit recently I returned to Arizona after a ten year stay in Asia teaching and taking a lot of stills and video.

As Christmas is approaching I wanted to print some of my images for some of my friends, so off to the photo lab I had used in the past, what a surprise, well I really did not think they had me still listed with an account, but when I laid down some 5x7 transparencies and asked to have some 16 x 20 prints made from them they asked just what they where?

Mike Duecy
12-5-07 I think

Just wait until you try to buy a roll of film for your Brownie :D

joseph therrien
6-Dec-2007, 08:21
You can still get film for your Brownie. 120 film is still widely available.

John Kasaian
6-Dec-2007, 08:36
You can still get film for your Brownie. 120 film is still widely available.

Brownies eat 127!:)

Bill_1856
6-Dec-2007, 08:39
120 yes, but not 620! Your Brownie is SOL.

John Kasaian
6-Dec-2007, 13:07
Not SOL, you just have to look harder. I get my Brownie's film at Freestyle, it's Efke R100. FWIW they even carry infrared 127!