PDA

View Full Version : Technika V front rise help!

kev curry
5-Dec-2007, 10:10
Cant work out how to operate the front rise! I imagine that the lever is used to raise the standard up but I'm puzzled? My fear it that I might chew the little toothed track on the back of the standard if I do something wrong! My other trouble is I cant work out how to change the orientation of the back from landscape to portrait?

Cheers folks
kev

Phil Hudson
5-Dec-2007, 10:22
Like you say the lever controls the front rise/fall ratchet. Sounds like the mechanism is at the bottom of its travel and it is already in "fall" mode. Pull the small square end of the lever out slightly and turn it 180 degrees. This switches the lever from rise to fall mode. The front should now ratchet up smoothly.

Not sure on the Technika V but on the Master Tech the orientation can be changed by simply turning the back while depressing a small release ever located along one edge.

Phil

douglas antonio
5-Dec-2007, 10:34
kev,

now there were two different ratchets on the model V.
an earlier one made of plastic with a white tip and an all metal black ratchet.

if it is the early ratchet, just pull out the white front tip and that will give way to lower or raise the lens.

if it is the all metal one phil has given you precise instructions.

Brian Ellis
5-Dec-2007, 11:18
On my Tech V (and on my Master) there was a colored dot on one of the four sides of the tip of the ratchet (i.e. the part you pull out as Phil describes). I believe it was green or white. In any event, if the tip on yours has a colored dot on one side of the tip, pull out the tip and rotate it until the side with the colored dot is aimed up and then release the tip. With the dot aimed up you can raise the front. To lower it, pull the tip out and rotate it until the dot is aimed down at the ground.

Rotating the back is easy to do but the process isn't easy for me to describe in words. Essentially you push in two metal parts on either side of the back and hold them in while rotating the back. But be careful, because there's a couple levers back there that are used to remove the back entirely. If you push them in without holding onto the back the back will fall off. This probably isn't very clear so I'd suggest that you go to the home page for this site, where I believe you can find a reprint of the instruction manual for the Tech IV that should include instructions for rotating the back. I've never owned a Tech IV but I'm pretty sure the back rotates on it just like it does on the V.

kev curry
5-Dec-2007, 12:15
Excellent guys thanks. Its the all metal lever, white dot for rise, green dot for fall.
Found a tiny release button that allows the back to revolve! These cameras truly are something to marvel at! I'm spellbound.
Best kev

kev curry
5-Dec-2007, 13:05
Any recommendations for caring for the bellows?
kev

Phil Hudson
5-Dec-2007, 13:31
My Technika bellows have all lasted quite well although on older models pinholes are not uncommon on the smaller front pleats.

Obviously don't try to fold the camera with the front standard still raised as this will damage the bellows. Likewise, after shooting on a damp day (ie. any winter day in the UK!) leave the camera open and bellows extended overnight to dry out thoroughly.

Phil

kev curry
5-Dec-2007, 15:31
Thanks Phil. What do you think about leather creams/conditioners or whatever?
kev

Phil Hudson
5-Dec-2007, 15:45
I think the synthetic material lasts quite well without treatment (at least mine has). I'm not sure of the merits of a leather treatment product on a synthetic material - it might even have a detrimental effect.

The problem I can see with with surface treatments is that they might actually attract/trap dust and dirt which eventually finds its way on to something important.

Perhaps others have more experience here and can recommend something and/or share horror stories?

Phil

Peter K
5-Dec-2007, 15:57
The Technika bellows is a plastic-foil glued on fabric no leather. Don't use any solvent or cream to clean, only a damp cloth.

My nearly 50 years old Technika III has had a small crack long time ago, fixed with a thin black tape the bellows is light-tight since this time.

Peter K

kev curry
6-Dec-2007, 10:15
Thank you for pointing that out Peter I thought the bellows were leather. Occasional damp cloth it is then.
Cheers
kev