PDA

View Full Version : Short Lenses on C-1 8x10

G Benaim
5-Dec-2007, 09:43
Hi all,

I find myself shooting mostly my 19 inch lens on the C-1, partly because it's harder to compose on shorter lenses. Even w the 300mm I have a harder time seeing the picture well, and so I was wondering how those of you who use one of these beasts get around this limitation of an otherwise excellent camera. I also find that the shorter lens seem dimmer even for similar aperture lenses (e.g. my 19 and 12 inch lenses are both f9). I'm curious whether this is due to the usual wide angle dimming (i.e. camera-independent) or to the distance from the GG at which one must look on the C-1 given the rear rail. All advice and suggestions welcome.

GB

fuegocito
5-Dec-2007, 09:59
I am wondering the same too, recently I used a 90mm SA on the V8 going after a wrap around wide look, it's really difficult to see where the image circle begin to fade into blackness. Composition within the image circle, specially around the edge is almost a complete guess. I have a Fresnel screen on top of the ground glass and I am suspecting now that might be a disadvantage in this exercise.

Robert

Jim Rice
5-Dec-2007, 11:34
I seem to be able to compose well (within my limitations as an artist, of course) with a 240 G-Claron. I do use the recessed adaptor (Copal#1 or smaller) which gets me an inch closer to the screen. When my ship comes in I also have a recessed board (#0 or smaller) to go into the adaptor for that SW Nikor I lust after. About 2 1/2" closer. Who knows, it may work.

John Kasaian
5-Dec-2007, 11:46
I shot a 159 WA Wolly on a v-8 the other day and while the edges were very dark (at f/9.5)
I just put the subject (my bride's potting bench) in the center, focused on it (actually on the printing on a packet of seeds) and let the edges take care of themselves. It worked, hwever this was a straight on shot with no movements (f/9.5 WA Wollys don't allow for movements anyway!)

erie patsellis
5-Dec-2007, 16:39
I use a 90mm f8 SA on my C1 with a self built recessed lensboard adapter. (I will have some available for sale shortly)

The 90 gives some interesting results on 8x10:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/epatsellis/a4sm.jpg

I built a wood back for my C1, it helps keep weight down, and I use a rigid fresnel from (of all places) Joann Fabrics, attached with some velcro dots so it can be removed to put my loupe directly on the ground glass when needed. I have no problem focusing with any lens from the 90, 150 Hexanon, 210 Angulon, etc.

Perhaps a fresnel will help with the corners darkening?

erie