PDA

View Full Version : Enlarger head light leaks

Gary Brennan
24-Nov-2000, 20:14
I have an Omega DII enlarger with an Aristo VCL 4500 head. I am a bit concerned about the light leak between the enlarger head and the negative carrier. There s eems to be an excessive amount of light that pours out. I have loosened the scr ews that hold the head, trying to align the head and negative carrier a bit more precisely, but there doesn't seem to be enough weight on the head to have the t wo surface meet and stay tight together. I purchase the enlarger used so I can't tell if this is normal or if it should be a concern.

Brian Ellis
24-Nov-2000, 20:37
I think it's normal - at least I got the same type of leaks when using the VCL 4500 with a Beseler MXT enlarger. I made a box out of cardboard that drops over the head and has a front and two sides sides that cover the space between the head and the negative carrier. This seems to work well and was easy to make. I started with a shoe box and attached the sides with electrical tape. I've been using it for about three years now and it still works fine. The only problem is that when using 120 roll film in the 6x7 format cut into strips of three frames, I have to be careful that the frames sticking out from either side of the negative carrier don't get scratched by the sides of the box. I hope this is clear, I'm not sure it's worded very well.

Carl Weese
24-Nov-2000, 21:02
A wrap of black velvet held with tape or clamps will also work, but with this or a box be sure that you don't interfere with ventilation of the enlarger head. The heat from the lamp has to escape, which is one reason it's quite difficult to design an enlarger that is light tight but well ventilated.---Carl

Robert A. Zeichner
24-Nov-2000, 21:53
If you go to a place like Michael's crafts (or a similar chain in your area) you may be able to buy sheets of 1/8th inch thick closed cell foam in black. This is the handiest stuff for making light traps such as the one that might solve your problem.

William Leviit
25-Nov-2000, 03:15
I too think its "normal" to have such light leaks around the negative carrier. I have an Omega that lets light out in the same way. If the walls around the enlarger are painted dark gray or black, not too much to worry about as far as reflected light hitting the paper is concerned.

Trevor Crone
25-Nov-2000, 10:57
Gary, I'm not familiar with the mechanics of this enlarger so this may not be po ssible. Attach self adhesive foam strips (the type used around doors as a draugh t excluder) to the underside of the head which makes contact with the neg. carri er. If the gap is not too wide it should make a soft seal when the head is lower ed. Best of luck,

Alec Jones
25-Nov-2000, 22:37
Gary, get some black velvet cloth and cut 2" wide strips sufficient to wrap around the head where it meets the negative carrier. Attach the ends to the lamp head with velcro tape. I believe all D2s suffer from this condition. Fortunately, this "skirt" around the bottom of the head solves it.