PDA

View Full Version : No high speed film in quick-load/ready-load.

Renato Tonelli
5-Dec-2007, 08:14
What is the reason that there are no high speed films (Tri-X, etc.) offered in quick-load/ready-load? Just wondering...

Gordon Moat
5-Dec-2007, 15:07
I think market demand has been more in line with ISO 100 films. However, there are ISO 160 colour negative films, and you could push those a bit while still getting usable images.

When I need that higher ISO, I usually substitute a rollfilm back onto my 4x5. Then I load up either Kodak E200, or Fujifilm Provia 400X, both of which push nicely. Since I am shooting 56x72, I still get a good sized image as a final result.

Really high ISO can be found by using either Polaroid or Fuji B/W peel apart films. While slightly smaller than 4x5, these do allow you to accomplish ISO 3000.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Bruce Watson
5-Dec-2007, 17:20
What is the reason that there are no high speed films (Tri-X, etc.) offered in quick-load/ready-load? Just wondering...

An excellent question. One that has been asked over and over again for many years now. Without answer from Kodak or AFAIK from Fuji either.

I personally would use a great deal of 400TMax in readyloads if it were only available. I really hate doing the "film holder dance" after a long day hiking and shooting. But Kodak doesn't seem at all interested in taking my money. Oy.

Frank Petronio
5-Dec-2007, 17:45
Rumour is that they can't promise light fastness with the higher ISO films... but who knows for sure? TriX and 400NC would be best sellers I would think...

Don Hutton
5-Dec-2007, 18:10
I would think that Frank is on the money there - I never had a ULF holder leak until The Tmax 400 special order - suddenly I found all sorts of issues, which just never happened with slower films....