PDA

View Full Version : Creo IQSmart3, Ebay .

rupal
5-Dec-2007, 05:43
If anyone is interested there is a working Creo IQSMART 3 on ebay for $1500 USD (Buy It Now) The only problem with it is a part of the plastic casing has been damaged but could glued back on. These scanners go new right now for $25000+ . It is not my auction in any way, i just came across it. here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Creo-IQsmart-3-Scanner-for-repair-or-parts-IQ-Smart-3_W0QQitemZ140186610148QQihZ004QQcategoryZ15223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JPlomley
5-Dec-2007, 06:52
Sounds too good to be true.

jetcode
5-Dec-2007, 07:33

no software is included and how come?

audioexcels
5-Dec-2007, 10:25

Did you win it?

audioexcels
5-Dec-2007, 10:35
no software is included and how come?

This is a good question. Why the scanner but no software. I hope an LF member got the unit and can somehow get the software from another member and get it go work properly.

Ed Richards
5-Dec-2007, 11:44
I am not so sure winning this one is a good thing. What separates a $500 scanner from a $15,000 scanner is alignment and mechanical precision. Getting the sh*t knocked out of it by UPS would make me pretty suspicious about that alignment.

audioexcels
5-Dec-2007, 11:55
I am not so sure winning this one is a good thing. What separates a $500 scanner from a $15,000 scanner is alignment and mechanical precision. Getting the sh*t knocked out of it by UPS would make me pretty suspicious about that alignment.

It was shipped via FedEx and poorly packaged, hence the damage to it. It's obviously got some nice casing to prevent it from having gone further into the machine. But hopefully the winning bidder is from this forum and will post the results when it arrives.

Kirk Gittings
5-Dec-2007, 12:51

Also the software alone can be very pricey. Sometimes thousands.

audioexcels
5-Dec-2007, 13:06

Woops! If software is in the thousands, even $1000, I am happy I didn't go for this one. Sure, you end up with $2700 (after shipping) of "hope" that it works properly. Looks wise is negligable IMHO, but functionality which requires the software and a cheap Mac system is critical.

jetcode
5-Dec-2007, 15:43

a high end scanner without software and a big chunk missing from the side smells suspicious at best - hmmm wonder if any service bureau has been - well - robbed

Greg Lockrey
5-Dec-2007, 16:09
a high end scanner without software and a big chunk missing from the side smells suspicious at best - hmmm wonder if any service bureau has been - well - robbed

My guess is that it was just "found after it fell off the truck".

jetcode
5-Dec-2007, 16:29
My guess is that it was just "found after it fell off the truck".

When I received my scanner it was packaged like a tank in a large crate that weighed 300 lbs. I can't imagine a big company shipping in anything less or with a less then completely reliable carrier but things do happen. Where's the software?

Kirk Gittings
5-Dec-2007, 17:50
This was not a new machine, it was a 2002. So the shipping damage was probably done during a resale with incompetent packaging.

There are other potentially pricey repairs, a replacement anti-halation glass costs $900, which can be damaged by using regular window cleaner on the coating. These machines are not for the faint of heart.

Bob McCarthy
5-Dec-2007, 18:01
Looks wise is negligable IMHO, but functionality which requires the software and a cheap Mac system is critical.

Not that it matters here, but the IQ3 uses modern software that runs on a current MAC

Brian K
5-Dec-2007, 18:37
Apparently the scanner was bought via buy it now. Looking at the scanner, and owning the same exact model, i can tell you that it had to take one hell of a hit to smash those parts and I would be very wary of it's alignment and even basic scanning functionality.
As Jetcode points out it's lack of software is very suspect as the IQ3 comes with the full software package. If the unit is stolen, the buyer is at risk of having nothing more than a source for spare parts.

Ted Harris
5-Dec-2007, 20:02
Some more info .... the serial number may be a bit suspicious .... just for kicks I am running it through inside sales at kodak to see if the machine has a history of any kind.

Bottom line is that, like any machine of this kind, for 1500 bucks you are throwing the dice. If it has any working parts at all it can be rebuilt for a cost that would not likely exceed $7000. pricy but still a bargain. I'll report back if the folks at Kodak know anything. As others have noted, 1)1000 minimum for the software, 2)probably needs a new glass for another 900, 3)doesn't look like it has a full set of masks ....

Playing in the used high-end scanner market on eBay or anywhere other than from a legit reseller or broker is insanity IMO, that is unless you consider 1500 change you can afford to throwaway. I have turned down offers of three, no four high-end scanners that people wanted to give to me or sell real cheap. None, of course, was in good working order and I wasn't ready to spend 300 bucks shipping to get 'em here just to play.

Deliberate1
5-Dec-2007, 21:18
Friends, I got the scanner. My second from Ebay in a month. First one was an Eversmart Pro II which I just got up and running. It was a bargain, came with everything imaginable and runs just lovely. So why the IQsmart3? More of an impulse than anything. Is that allowed these days? Rather uncharacteristic for me. A risk? I suppose. But I have become rather familiar witht he oXygen program, and take some comfort that the power and status lights go green. There is initial stability and itegrity. As for software, I have a version of Oxygen that may work and a bead on a later version from a buddy as well. If it is as good as it looks (except for the crack), then the resolution substantially greater than the Pro II, marginally higher dmax and true 16 bit capability makes it a good bet. If it needs a bit of work, even investing a couple grand will make for a fine machine - even a bargain when compared to a resellers price. If it works, I'll put up the Pro II and send it to a good home - maybe one of you folks. And if the most dire predictions of some of you grim reapers are realized, I'll sink the damn thing in front of my house and use it as a mooring.After all, the $1500 I paid is what a long ski weekend costs me. So we'll just stay home, and I'll play with my little smarty. Will keep you all posted - the good or the bad.

Don Miller
11-Dec-2007, 08:14
Case damaged and no software? One explanation was that it's a stolen item.

Well, now I see that has already been pointed out. And I thought I was so smart.......

Ted Harris
11-Dec-2007, 09:52
If you want details on getting it repaired send me an email.