PDA

View Full Version : Another dumb question about barrel lenses

Andrea Gazzoni
3-Dec-2007, 14:17
Sorry if it sounds too dumb... I have a doubt this apo nikkor in barrel would be working with the sinar shutter shown here.
The reason is I'm reading on sinar site that "To be used with the Auto Aperture Shutter, lenses must be mounted in the Sinar DB mount".

Thanks to everyone who will clarify this to me

Andrea

mikec
3-Dec-2007, 15:57
Flat boards are ok. You won't be able to use the auto aperture feature of the shutter though. Just set the shutter aperture setting to the max for your model ( looks like a 5,6 ) so that the pin which engages the DB boards doesn't move on firing the shutter. Then use the manual aperture setting on the lens. Some of things to check. 1. that the rear element doesn't protrude into the shutter opening more that 19-20mm, otherwise it may touch the blades. 2. If the rear element is wider than the shutter hole, make sure that it doesn't touch the shutter when the board is mounted. 3. Your lens looks like the rear element may be wider than the shutter opening. In which case you won't be able to use an effective f9. Hope that helps.

Andrea Gazzoni
4-Dec-2007, 02:01
Many thanks Mike,

the lens I'm waiting for seems to have a flat rear, so the only problem could be the gap between the shutter opening and the f9 aperture of the lens.
Away from this kind of shutter, is there any other solution for using these lenses on a Sinar 4x5 view camera or do are they ment only for 5x7 and up?

have a good tuesday, sorry for my poor english
Andrea

Peter K
4-Dec-2007, 02:42
For portraits, whole person, you will need a realy large studio with this 480mm lens on 4x5". But with landscape and architecture this focal-lenght can be a good choice.

Peter K

Ken Lee
4-Dec-2007, 08:34
Another option, since you have a Sinar, is to simply increase the film size. The same 480mm length becomes a wonderful portrait lens on 8x10, or even 5x7.

Get an 8x10 back for the Sinar. I have a 5x7 back. I adore it. It will probably be cheaper and smaller than a new 8x10 camera. And you can continue to use the same wonderful shutter. I love (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/tech.html#Shutter) mine.

Struan Gray
4-Dec-2007, 13:42
I use my Sinar shutter behind some oddball large lenses. One tip worth knowing: if your lens projects too far behind its lensboard to use the shutter in the normal way, put the shutter on an intermediate standard and seal the gap with an extra bellows (a bag bellows works well, if you don't want to buy another square one). You can turn the shutter round and put it on the front of the intermediate standard if you want to get the shutter blades as close to the rear of the lens as possible.

You can see a picture of the arrangement here: www.mcnew.net

Andrea Gazzoni
4-Dec-2007, 14:14
Thank you Struan, i will try the assembly with the intermediate standard. Is it a suitable solution even when you need a long bellows extension (front standard distant from the intermediate standard) ?

Peter K, in fact primary use is landscape, thanks.

Ken, that would be brilliant but I guess my bank is not going to loan me extra money for buying 8x10 sheet film ;)

thanks to all for the precious advice
Andrea

Struan Gray
4-Dec-2007, 14:45
Thank you Struan, i will try the assembly with the intermediate standard. Is it a suitable solution even when you need a long bellows extension (front standard distant from the intermediate standard) ?

Eventually you will reach a bellows length where either the rear bellows is stretched too tight for comfort, or the shutter is so far back that the vignetting becomes objectionable. How soon that happens depends on just how tight a portrait you are trying to do, and how long a lens you start with. It's easier to experiment than to guess :-)

If you need more bellows, the Norma era intermediate standards are compatible with the more modern F and P cameras, and are available quite cheaply.