PDA

View Full Version : ground glass viewing screens?

jasonikon
3-Dec-2007, 14:05
hello everyone...just a simple question from a newbie...are there any particular specifications i should know about when asking my local glazier to make a piece of 10x12 ground glass for me to replace a smashed viewing screen? I know its supposed to be of a very fine grain but is there anything else obvious i should know about?

Many thanks guys,

jasonikon

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

cowanw
3-Dec-2007, 19:23
2 mm thickness and get him to smooth the edges.
Be sure you measure exactly and a little bit less, as it is difficult to cut down a few mm unless you have a belt sander.
Get 1000 grit aluminium carbide rock abrasive.

www.therockshed.com

sent me a package $4.50 for a pound, enough for 100 gg's easy.
I masking taped one side and ground the other side with a slurry of water and grit and the bottom of a glass juice glass.
Made the bottom of the juice glass real flat too.
Takes about an hour while you are watching TV
Regards
Bill

Ron Stowell
3-Dec-2007, 19:28
You might also try www.satinsnow.com I have bought several GG from Dave and they are always perfect and the price is very reasonable.

Dave Parker
3-Dec-2007, 19:46
In this size, i would make it out of 2.5 mm glass, there are several types of material you can grind screens with, many home grinders use cerium oxide, or even valve grinding paste from the auto parts store, another quick was to get a screen is to run by a glass company that does etching and often times they will be able to sand blast it with their etching guns, not as fine, and will have a tendency to have a more defined "hot spot" but usable, when I was in experimental phase a few years ago, I played with a opaque spray that I got at the local crafts shop and it actually worked quite well to make a usable screen, but the spray is very delicate..as far as cutting it, make sure they cut precise, in the glass industry, the standards are + - 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch which in a camera can be too small or two large, it would be best to take your camera with you. also if you need clipped corners, make sure they cut and snip them clean, and as has been mentioned, make sure they smooth the edges, it is amazing how quick you can cut yourself, if they won't or don't, get a sanding block and some 400 wet dry and softly draw across all edges.

If all else fails, send me a note.

Dave

John Schneider
3-Dec-2007, 22:33
This is one of those things that looks easy (like gas welding), but is very difficult to do well. For me, being a perfectionist, it's always simpler just to go to the pro's.

GeorgesGiralt
3-Dec-2007, 22:42
Hi !
If i Europe, avoid long transportation delay and customs by buying in Belgium a GG cut to measure and available with Lumigrid : http://www.sheetfilm.be ...

riooso
3-Dec-2007, 23:07
If Dave can make you a couple, it would be worth the effort. Talk to him and see if he can help you. Very good screens. The reason for a couple is that when one is broken you can handle the lead time better. How did you break the one that you have? It would be worth getting a cover to protect the screen.

Richard

jasonikon
4-Dec-2007, 13:07
Hello George...thanks for the reply so how much would it cost me to get a 10x12' GG from you including shipping?

Many Thanks

Jason

cldlf
20-Jul-2009, 13:28
I am a beginner, much confused about ground glasses (Bosscreeen, Maxwell, etc).
I have found me too this Belgian manufacturer GVB. Glasses are cheap enough compared to Maxwell and others. For my Shen Hao just 27.25 euro ex works.
Who knows/uses this glass? Any report to be made about Lumigrid?
Awaiting your kind reply.
cld