PDA

View Full Version : Sironar-S or -N for 210/5.6

john costo
11-Aug-1998, 05:41
Any advice on choosing between Rodenstock's APO Sironar-S and -N for the 210/5.6 focal length? I do mostly landscape, but would like to eventually learn portra it work and basic architectural work. I currently have only the Schneider 110/5. 6 XL. Many thanks.

mike rosenlof
11-Aug-1998, 18:37
What format? If you're shooting 4x5, you've got tons of coverage with the N ver sion. I believe the N version covers 5x7, a bit more from the S. I have the Si nar labeled N, and it's been very nice. Coverage has never been a concern for l andscape, portrait, and still life.

David Nash
22-Aug-1998, 10:08
I have the Sironar S 210, and use it for 5x4" work. The quality is amazingly go od, and I've never run out of coverage - it seems you can shift, swing and tilt all you want, and not worry about vignetting.

The Sironar S has more coverage than the N, and (from what I can read in the bro chure) is a better quality - useable to the edge of the image circle, and an opt imum aperture of f16. The S is constructed from better quality glass.

The first time I used it (after only having a cheapo 150mm lens) I couldn't beli eve how crisp and colourful my transparencies were.

richard wong
25-Aug-1998, 00:15
I have been using the Sironar-S for more than a year and am very happy with it. I copied artwork with it. The detail and crispness is incredible.