PDA

View Full Version : Cloud spot/dirt removal from print

Raymond Bleesz
2-Dec-2007, 07:57
A purist would say throw out the print, but I would like to know what people technically do regarding an imperfection in a print which has a very small dark spot in the clouds. (How the spot got there is not the scope of this question)

Regular D76, Ilfobrom paper.

Using spot tone is not the answer as the spot is dark on light colored clouds. I have heard of using a very sharp pointed tool & "digging" into the print paper to get white. I cut crop/cut the print to remove the blemish but that diminishes the size of the print to a large degree. Other than finding the source of the 'blemish/spot" & making another print, ?????????

I'm sure Ansel was faced with this issue as well.

Other suggestions, ideas--thank you------Raymond

Toyon
2-Dec-2007, 09:15
Use Farmer's Reducer. Spot using the tiniest brush you can find. You don't want any of the fluid wandering outside the area you are retouching. After rewashing, touch up the area effected to match the surrounding tonality. You may want to place a bit of foam to support your wrist while you retouch. Good luck.

stefan d
2-Dec-2007, 09:18
Hi Raymond,
look here for Spot off from Wolfgang Moersch. It is liquid and you can use it after you have developed the print. The black spot will turn to a white spot. After using spot off you have to fix again for about 30 sec. After drying the print you can retouche the white spot with normal methods.
Best wishes
stefan d

stefan d
2-Dec-2007, 09:20
sorry, here is the link:
http://www.moersch-photochemie.de/index.php

stefan d

Kirk Gittings
2-Dec-2007, 10:34
A very fine point exacto blade on a wet print, Get under the dark sot and lift it off. When it dries it shrinks back with a small indentation that is barely visible. This as been a common practice since gelatin silver prints were invented.

Jon Shiu
2-Dec-2007, 11:07
Hi, there is a product called spot pens black spot reducer that can bleach out the spot to white, then you use spotone to spot. It works but I have gotten some softening of the emulsion lateley. Not sure why.

Jon

Raymond Bleesz
2-Dec-2007, 15:50
Gentlemen, Thank you for your responses to my question & your suggestions.

Kirk: I wasn't aware or I had forgotten that the print had to be wet, however, that makes sense.

Raymond

Kirk Gittings
2-Dec-2007, 16:24
Raymond, you can do it dry but you get a nicer surface doing it wet and letting the dimple shrink back. I've been doing it for like 30 years. It is easy to do some practices on a throw away print too.

PViapiano
2-Dec-2007, 23:46
Kirk, I've never heard that one. Of course, I'm a newbie printer but haven't seen that in any of my books either. Thanks!

Last week I picked up a bleaching spot pen, sold together with a fixer pen, but haven't used it yet.